Gonzaga vs. Loyola Marymount: Full Game Preview
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 18.2||E Harris 7.3||K Pangos 3.6|
|Loyola Marymount||A Ireland 20.0||A Hamilton 6.7||C Flint 4.3|
No. 7 Gonzaga travels to Gersten Pavilion on Thursday to take on Loyola Marymount. It gets started at 11:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN2. The Bulldogs are 8-1 against the Lions over the last four years. They won 78-59 on 2/11/2012 the last time they played.
Gonzaga is in 1st place in the conference, Loyola Marymount is in 8th place.
In a 66-52 triumph over San Francisco on January 26th, Kelly Olynyk put up 13 points and 8 rebounds for the Bulldogs. He paces the team in points per game with 18.2, and blocks per game with 0.9. For the Lions, Anthony Ireland put up 14 points and 7 rebounds in the 60-57 loss to Pepperdine on January 24th. He leads the team in points with 20.0 per game and steals with 1.7 per game.
Digging into season numbers, Gonzaga has the advantage in two key categories. The Bulldogs have the upper hand over the Lions in field goal percentage, 51% to 41%. Gonzaga also has an advantage in scoring, 78 points per game to 69 points per game.
Loyola Marymount StatSmack
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Gonzaga has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Loyola Marymount (1 vs 0).
- Gonzaga has a better conference record than Loyola Marymount this season (6-0 vs 1-6).
- Gonzaga has a better scoring defense (62.6 allowed per game vs 70.6 allowed per game) than Loyola Marymount this season.
- Gonzaga embarrassed Loyola Marymount by 19 points the last time they played (Feb 11, 2012).
- Elias Harris is ranked 10th in the West Coast in points and 5th in the West Coast in rebounds.
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Gonzaga currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (979 to 949) than Loyola Marymount, per the NCAA.
- The Gonzaga blocks leader (Kelly Olynyk) has more blocks than the Loyola Marymount blocks leader (Alex Osborne).
- Gonzaga is a better shooting team (51.1% vs 41.7%) than Loyola Marymount this season.
- Gonzaga is better under pressure, and has defeated Loyola Marymount in 5 out of the last 5 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Gonzaga is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Gonzaga is 77.1 inches compared to 76.0 inches for Loyola Marymount.
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Gonzaga has had more players drafted by the NBA than Loyola Marymount (5 vs 0).
|C||Guy Landry Edi||14||4||3||0||0||0||1|