(14) Miami 73
(16-3, 7-1 away)
Virginia Tech 64
(11-9, 9-5 home)
Venue: Cassell Coliseum
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 30, 2013
||S Larkin 25
||R Johnson 10
||T McKinney-Jones 4
||E Green 30
||C Raines 8
||R Brown 4
Virginia Tech faced off with No. 14 Miami (FL) on Wednesday, January 30th and lost in front of the home crowd against the Hurricanes 73-64 in conference play. With the loss, the Hokies go to 1-1 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. Erick Green had an impressive game for the Hokies and put up a game-high 30 points, sinking 5 of 8 from three-point range. Cadarian Raines had 10 points and added eight rebounds. For the Hurricanes, Shane Larkin got a team-high 25 points (3 Reb 3 Ast 3 Stl), including 5-of-10 shooting from three-point range. The next game will be on Saturday, February 2nd when Virginia Tech (11-9, 2-5 ACC) travels to North Carolina (14-6, 4-3 ACC).
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:30 left to go.
- Virginia Tech started 11-9 during the 2005 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- VT beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Hokies have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, VT played 32 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 7-25.
- Virginia Tech has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 64 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition shoots a three-point percentage of 37.5% or better this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100% of the time (0-7).
- When the opposition records 9 or more three-pointers this season, Virginia Tech has lost 88% of the time (1-7).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 48.1% or better this season, Virginia Tech has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- VT set a season low for free throws made.
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 11 games.
- This is the 1st loss of the season where the Hokies opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--VT has a 5.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Erick Green accounted for 46.8% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Cadarian Raines and Joey van Zegeren) accounted for 48.2% of the rebounds.
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 18 out of 20 games this season.
- Cadarian Raines has led the team in rebounding in 7 out of 20 games this season.
- This marks the 26th 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has 7 straight 20+ point games.
- Erick Green had a career high with 5 three-pointers.
- Jarell Eddie had a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.
Miami (FL) Game Notes
- Miami (FL) won, but did not cover the spread.
- Shane Larkin recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 10.
- Shane Larkin accounted for 34.2% of the team's points.
- Reggie Johnson accounted for 30.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Shane Larkin has led the team in scoring 5 times in 19 games this season.
- Reggie Johnson has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 19 games this season.
- This marks the 2nd 20-point game of Shane Larkin's career.
- Shane Larkin set career highs with 9 field goals made and 5 three-pointers.
- Trey McKinney-Jones has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Kenny Kadji has 10 straight double-digit point games.
- Reggie Johnson recorded the 28th double-digit rebound game of his career.
|D+||J. van Zegeren||22||2||6||0||0||0||4|