No. 1 Michigan squared off with Northwestern on Wednesday, January 30th and punished the Wildcats 68-46 in conference action. It was all Michigan from the beginning and they led 36-21 at the half. The Wolverines improve their record to 2-1 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. The Wolverines got the win with a game-high 18 points and eight assists from Trey Burke. Mitch McGary also had a great game, scoring six points and adding 11 rebounds. For the Wildcats, Jared Swopshire got eight points and eight rebounds. Michigan (20-1, 7-1 Big Ten) takes on third-ranked Indiana (18-2, 6-1 Big Ten) on Saturday, February 2nd on the road.
Michigan Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 4:00 left to go.
- The win over Northwestern extended the Michigan winning streak to 4 games.
- Michigan beat the spread by 5.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Wolverines have beaten the spread.
- This was the 9th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Michigan has been on the winning end of 29 blowout games.
- Michigan set a season low for turnovers.
- The Wolverines have recorded more steals than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Michigan has turned the ball over less than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--Michigan has a 24.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Trey Burke and Glenn Robinson III) accounted for 45.5% of the points.
- Mitch McGary accounted for 35.4% of the team's rebounds.
- Trey Burke has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 21 games this season.
- Mitch McGary has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 21 games this season.
- Nik Stauskas has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Glenn Robinson III has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Trey Burke has 21 straight double-digit point games.
- Mitch McGary recorded the 4th double-digit rebound game of his career.
Northwestern Game Notes
- Northwestern lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 4th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, NU has been on the losing end of 20 blowout games.
- The top two rebounders (Jared Swopshire and Reggie Hearn) accounted for 44.8% of the rebounds.
- Jared Swopshire has led the team in rebounding 14 times in 22 games this season.