Gonzaga vs. Loyola Marymount: Full Game Preview
|Gonzaga||K Olynyk 18.2||E Harris 7.3||K Pangos 3.6|
|Loyola Marymount||A Ireland 20.0||A Hamilton 6.7||C Flint 4.3|
On Thursday, Loyola Marymount hosts No. 7 Gonzaga at Gersten Pavilion. Tip-off is at 11:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN2. The Lions are 1-8 against the Bulldogs over the last four years. They fell 78-59 on 2/11/2012, the last time they met.
Loyola Marymount is currently in 8th place in the conference and Gonzaga is in 1st.
In their last match-up on January 24th, Anthony Ireland put up 14 points and 7 rebounds for the Lions in a loss to Pepperdine, 60-57. With 20.0 points per game and 1.7 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. For the Bulldogs, Kelly Olynyk put up 13 points and 8 rebounds in the 66-52 win over San Francisco on January 26th. With 18.2 points per game and 0.9 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Gonzaga has a statistical edge over Loyola Marymount in two key areas. The first is field goal percentage, where the Bulldogs have the upper hand, 51% to 41%. Gonzaga also has an advantage in scoring, 78 points per game to 69 points per game. Gonzaga can be found near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: effective field goal percentage at 56.6 and offensive rebounding percentage at 37.5.
- Chase Flint is ranked 10th in the West Coast in assists.
- Ashley Hamilton is ranked 7th in the West Coast in rebounds.
- Loyola Marymount has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (59% vs 78%).
- The Loyola Marymount basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Gonzaga (87% vs 73%).
- The Loyola Marymount scoring leader (Anthony Ireland) has more points than the Gonzaga scoring leader (Kelly Olynyk).
- Anthony Ireland is ranked 15th nationally in points, 7th in the West Coast in three-pointers, 7th in the West Coast in assists, and 6th in the West Coast in steals.
- Ayodeji Egbeyemi is ranked 9th in the West Coast in rebounds and 10th in the West Coast in three-pointers.
- Diaper Dandies love us. Loyola Marymount has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Gonzaga (2 vs 0).
- At least you keep showing up. Loyola Marymount has an average margin of victory of 11 over Gonzaga in 20 wins since 1980.
|C||Guy Landry Edi||14||4||3||0||0||0||1|