Iona vs. Niagara: Full Game Preview
|Iona||L Jones 22.3||D Laury 10.4||L Jones 3.8|
|Niagara||A Mason 18.1||A Tanksley 5.8||J Green 5.0|
Iona visits Gallagher Center on Thursday to take on Niagara. The game tips off at 7:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN3. The Gaels beat the Purple Eagles 83-72 on November 28th and are 8-2 against them over the last four years.
Iona is in 2nd place in the conference and has an opportunity to gain ground on 1st place Niagara.
In a 79-71 triumph over Loyola (MD) on January 27th, Lamont Jones put up 23 points for the Gaels. With 22.3 points per game and 3.8 assists per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. In a 66-65 victory over Canisius on January 27th, Marvin Jordan put up 23 points for the Purple Eagles. He contributes 1.6 rebounds per game in addition to his 8.4 points per game. Niagara ranks 1st in their conference in turnover percentage at 16.7, which also places them 16th in the country.
- Better not leave your building. Iona has a better record on the road than Niagara this season (5-4 vs 5-6).
- Diaper Dandies love us. Iona has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Niagara (2 vs 0).
- You get an A for effort, but Iona has emerged victorious against Niagara the last 5 times they've played.
- The Iona scoring leader (Lamont Jones) has more points than the Niagara scoring leader (Antoine Mason).
- The Iona rebounding leader (David Laury) has more rebounds than the Niagara rebounding leader (Ameen Tanksley).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Iona has a stronger schedule than Niagara this season (SOS Rank: #194 vs #218).
- It must sting. Iona has blown out Niagara by 20 points or more on 6 occasions since 1996.
- The Iona three-point leader (Sean Armand) has more three-pointers than the Niagara three-point leader (Juan`ya Green).
- Sean Armand is ranked 19th nationally in points, 10th in the MAAC in rebounds, 4th nationally in three-pointers, and 10th in the MAAC in steals.
- We make our fans proud. Iona has a better record at home than Niagara this season (8-0 vs 8-1).
- Iona has a more potent offense, scoring more points (81.8 per game vs 74.0 per game) than Niagara this season.