Penn State vs. Iowa: Full Game Preview
|Penn State||T Frazier 16.3||R Travis 6.8||D (DJ) Newbill 4.0|
|Iowa||R Devyn Marble 14.4||A White 6.1||A Clemmons 3.9|
On Thursday, Iowa welcomes Penn State at Carver-Hawkeye Arena. Tip-off is at 8:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN U. The Hawkeyes are 3-3 against the Nittany Lions over the last four years. They lost 69-64 the last time they played (2/16/2012).
Iowa is currently in 9th place in the Big Ten and Penn State is in 12th.
In spite of 18 points from Mike Gesell, the Hawkeyes came up short 65-62 against Purdue on January 27th. He is averaging 9.3 points per game and leads the team in steals with 1.2 per game. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with 15 points and 6 assists in the 65-51 loss to Ohio State on January 26th. He is averaging 15.5 points per game in addition to a team-best 4.0 assists per game.
Iowa appears to have a key statistical advantage in two areas. With the edge in assists (16 per game to nine per game), the Hawkeyes should find themselves in a good position on offense. Iowa also has an advantage in scoring, 72 points per game to 61 points per game. A key area of strength for Penn State is defensive rebounding percentage at 74.8, which ranks 1st in their conference (and 5th nationally).
Penn State StatSmack
- Melsahn Basabe is ranked 9th in the Big Ten in blocks.
- AP voters think more highly of Iowa and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Penn State (25 vs 3).
- Iowa can actually jump, with more rebounds (40.0 per game vs 35.8 per game) than Penn State this season.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Iowa has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Penn State (8 vs 0).
- Iowa has a more potent offense, scoring more points (72.8 per game vs 61.0 per game) than Penn State this season.
- At least you keep showing up. Iowa has an average margin of victory of 14 over Penn State in 21 wins since 1992.
- Iowa has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Penn State ($33,134 vs $36,844).
- Iowa is a better shooting team (43.1% vs 38.9%) than Penn State this season.
- Even computers respect Iowa more. We have a better RPI this season than Penn State (RPI: #81 vs #176).
- Iowa has a much lower average debt at graduation according to Kiplinger than Penn State ($22,684 vs $28,680).
- How does our back look? Iowa is ranked higher than Penn State in the Big Ten (#9 vs #12).