On Tuesday, January 29th, No. 23 Minnesota punished Nebraska 84-65 in Big Ten play. The Golden Gophers were led by Rodney Williams, who got a season-high 23 points plus five rebounds. Austin Hollins had 13 points and added five assists (3 Reb 3 Stl). For the Cornhuskers, Ray Gallegos got a career-high 30 points, including 6-of-9 shooting from three-point range. Minnesota (16-4, 4-3 Big Ten) takes on Iowa (13-7, 2-5 Big Ten) on Sunday, February 3rd on their home court.
Minnesota Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 2:55 left to go.
- The last time Minnesota started the season 16-5 was 2010.
- Minnesota beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 13th time this season the Golden Gophers have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Gophers have won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after recording 84 or more total points.
- Minnesota has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when its field goal percentage has been 54.2% or better.
- Minnesota has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) when opponents record 8 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Minnesota has won 78% of the time (7-2) when Andre Hollins has 14 points or more, 83% of the time (5-1) when Rodney Williams plays 33 minutes or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when Austin Hollins has 5 assists or more.
- The Golden Gophers set a season high for assists.
- The last time Minnesota recorded at least 24 assists was Dec 13, 2011 against Central Michigan.
- Minnesota set a season low for turnovers.
- The Golden Gophers have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Minnesota has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 5 games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--Minnesota has a 19.8 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Rodney Williams and Andre Hollins) accounted for 44.0% of the points.
- Rodney Williams has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 21 games this season.
- Trevor Mbakwe has led the team in rebounding in 13 out of 21 games this season.
- This marks the 6th 20-point game of Rodney Williams's career.
Nebraska Game Notes
- Nebraska lost and did not cover the spread.
- Ray Gallegos recorded a team season high in points with 30 and field goals made with 12.
- Ray Gallegos accounted for 46.1% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Ray Gallegos and Dylan Talley) accounted for 42.1% of the rebounds.
- Ray Gallegos has led the team in scoring 8 times in 22 games this season.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of Ray Gallegos's career.
- Ray Gallegos set career highs with 30 points, 12 field goals made, and 6 three-pointers.
- Brandon Ubel has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Brandon Ubel.