|Villanova||J Pinkston 13.0||M Yarou 6.3||R Arcidiacono 3.3|
|Notre Dame||J Cooley 14.4||J Cooley 10.8||E Atkins 6.4|
On Wednesday, Villanova travels to Joyce Center to take on Notre Dame. It gets started at 6:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN2. The Wildcats are 2-2 against the Fighting Irish over the last four years. They fell 74-70 on 2/18/2012, the last time they met.
Villanova is currently tied with Notre Dame in the Big East in 5th place.
The 25 points and 7 rebounds by Darrun Hilliard helped the Wildcats to a 75-71 victory over Syracuse on January 26th. In addition to a team-leading 1.6 steals per game, he chips in 10.8 points per game. In a 73-65 victory over South Florida on January 26th, Jerian Grant put up 18 points and 8 assists for the Fighting Irish. His 12.8 points per game is the highest mark on the team.
In reviewing statistical differences between the teams, Notre Dame appears to have an edge in two significant areas. The Fighting Irish turn the ball over less often, 10 per game to 16 per game. In addition, Notre Dame has the edge in field goal percentage, 50% to 40%. Notre Dame will hope to exploit their strength in effective field goal percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 56.2 in this area ranks 1st in the conference and 11th in the country.
Notre Dame StatSmack
- Maurice Sutton is ranked 6th in the Big East in blocks.
- We have a history of cultivating talent. Over the past 10 years, Villanova has had more players drafted by the NBA than Notre Dame (3 vs 1).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Villanova has a stronger schedule than Notre Dame this season (SOS Rank: #137 vs #293).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Villanova has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Notre Dame (13 vs 6).
- It must sting. Villanova has blown out Notre Dame by 20 points or more on 5 occasions since 1997.
- At least you keep showing up. Villanova has an average margin of victory of 13 over Notre Dame in 15 wins since 1980.
- AP voters think more highly of Villanova and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Notre Dame (94 vs 86).
- The Villanova blocks leader (Maurice Sutton) has more blocks than the Notre Dame blocks leader (Jack Cooley).
- James Bell is ranked 10th in the Big East in three-pointers.
- The Villanova three-point leader (Ryan Arcidiacono) has more three-pointers than the Notre Dame three-point leader (Scott Martin).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Villanova currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (978 to 1000) than Notre Dame, per the NCAA.