Villanova vs. Notre Dame: Full Game Preview
|Villanova||J Pinkston 13.0||M Yarou 6.3||R Arcidiacono 3.3|
|Notre Dame||J Cooley 14.4||J Cooley 10.8||E Atkins 6.4|
On Wednesday, Notre Dame plays host to Villanova at Joyce Center. The game gets underway at 6:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN2. The Fighting Irish are 2-2 against the Wildcats over the last four years. The last time they met (2/18/2012) they won 74-70.
Villanova and Notre Dame are tied for 5th in the conference.
In their last outing, behind 18 points and 8 assists from Jerian Grant, the Fighting Irish defeated South Florida 73-65 on January 26th. With 12.8 points per game, he leads the team in scoring average. In a 75-71 victory over Syracuse on January 26th, Darrun Hilliard put up 25 points and 7 rebounds for the Wildcats. He is averaging 10.8 points per game and leads the team in steals with 1.6 per game.
Notre Dame has a statistical advantage over Villanova in two key categories. The Fighting Irish turn the ball over less, 10 per game compared to 16 per game for the Wildcats. Notre Dame also has an advantage in field goal percentage, 50% to 40%. Villanova will hope to exploit their strength in free throw rate in this matchup. Their mark of 51.8 in this area ranks 1st in the conference and 1st in the country.
- Notre Dame has a better scoring defense (59.9 allowed per game vs 66.2 allowed per game) than Villanova this season.
- Diaper Dandies love us. Notre Dame has recruited more McDonald's All-Americans out of high school than Villanova (14 vs 12).
- It's only wins and losses, but Notre Dame has a better overall record than Villanova this season (12-1 vs 9-4).
- Jerian Grant is ranked 46th nationally in assists.
- You get an A for effort, but Notre Dame has emerged victorious against Villanova the last 2 times they've played.
- Notre Dame beat Villanova by 4 points the last time they played (Feb 18, 2012).
- We make our fans proud. Notre Dame has a better record at home than Villanova this season (10-0 vs 5-2).
- Notre Dame has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (29% vs 46%).
- Notre Dame players are more experienced than Villanova players (11,322 minutes played vs 9,257 minutes played).
- At least you keep showing up. Notre Dame has an average margin of victory of 11 over Villanova in 8 wins since 1980.
- We just win. Notre Dame has more wins over the last 5 years than Villanova (130 vs 120).