West Virginia got beat at home by No. 2 Kansas 61-56 in conference play on Monday, January 28th. The Mountaineers are still looking for their first win over an AP-Ranked team this season (0-4). Aaric Murray put up a game-high 17 points and seven rebounds for the Mountaineers. Kevin Noreen had five points and added four rebounds. For the Jayhawks, Jeff Withey got 15 points and seven rebounds. Next up for West Virginia (9-11, 2-5 Big 12) is Texas Tech (9-9, 2-5 Big 12) on Saturday, February 2nd on the road.
West Virginia Game Notes
- The last time WVU started the season 9-11 was 1998.
- WVU beat the spread by 3.5 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Mountaineers have beaten the spread.
- The Mountaineers have been unlucky 5 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, West Virginia has lost 28 close games.
- Prior to this game, WVU played 56 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 20-36.
- West Virginia has lost 100% of the time this season (0-4) after recording 56 or fewer total points.
- The Mountaineers have lost 75% of the time this season (2-6) after having a field goal percentage of 37.0% or worse.
- When the opposition records 18 or more free throws made this season, West Virginia has lost 100% of the time (0-5).
- When the opposition records 8 or more steals this season, West Virginia has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- WVU set a season low for rebounds.
- West Virginia has been outshot by their opponents in three-point percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--WVU has a 5.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Aaric Murray accounted for 30.3% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Aaric Murray and Dominique Rutledge) accounted for 44.4% of the rebounds.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (13) than the starters (12).
- The bench recorded more points (30) than the starters (26).
- Aaric Murray has led the team in scoring 6 times and in rebounding 9 times in 20 games this season.
- Gary Browne had a career high with 4 steals.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Dominique Rutledge.
Kansas Game Notes
- Kansas won, but did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Travis Releford and Jeff Withey) accounted for 49.1% of the points.
- Travis Releford has led the team in scoring 5 times in 20 games this season.
- Kevin Young has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 20 games this season.
- Travis Releford has 17 straight double-digit point games.
- Jeff Withey has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Ben McLemore has 8 straight double-digit point games.