NC State vs. Virginia: Full Game Preview
|NC State||C Leslie 15.4||R Howell 11.1||L Brown 7.2|
|Virginia||J Harris 14.8||A Mitchell 8.8||J Evans 4.2|
Virginia plays host to No. 18 NC State at John Paul Jones Arena on Tuesday. It starts at 7:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN2. The Cavaliers are 4-2 against the Wolfpack over the last four years. They lost 67-64 the last time they played (3/9/2012).
A win here would help close the gap with NC State in the ACC, who are in 2nd place and just above Virginia in 3rd place.
The 16 points and 6 rebounds by Akil Mitchell helped the Cavaliers to a 65-51 victory over Boston College on January 26th. With 8.8 rebounds per game and 1.3 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories. For the Wolfpack, Richard Howell put up 16 points and 14 rebounds in the 91-83 win over North Carolina on January 26th. He leads the team in rebounds with 11.1 per game and blocks with 1.1 per game.
NC State has a statistical edge over Virginia in one specific area, scoring, where the Wolfpack have the upper hand over the Cavaliers, 79 points per game to 62 points per game. The Four Factors in which NC State stands out are effective field goal percentage at 55.4 and free throw rate at 42.6.
NC State StatSmack
- Virginia has a better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (0.572 to 0.571).
- Virginia does a better job contesting shots (35.3% allowed vs 40.3% allowed) than NC State this season.
- Virginia has a much higher 4-year graduation rate than NC State according to Kiplinger (85% vs 37%).
- Virginia allows fewer rebounds (30.0 allowed per game vs 34.5 allowed per game) than NC State this season.
- Akil Mitchell is ranked 36th nationally in rebounds.
- Charlottesville isn't as congested as Raleigh (population is significantly lower).
- The Virginia blocks leader (Darion Atkins) has more blocks than the NC State blocks leader (C.J. Leslie).
- Virginia is better under pressure, and has defeated NC State in 6 out of the last 10 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Joe Harris is ranked 4th in the ACC in points and 3rd in the ACC in three-pointers.
|D+||Thomas de Thaey||9||5||2||0||0||0||0|