The new GM of the New York Jets, John Idzik, has started off in the worst possible way. This week it was revealed that the latest player to be shopped around by the organization is not Tim Tebow or even Mark Sanchez, but Darrelle Revis.
This is catastrophic news as Revis should be the last player to be put on the trading block. He is an indispensable member of the Jets organization who has been with the team his entire career.
Understandably, the cornerback was upset by the speculation, and Idzik had to reach out to Revis to do some damage control.
Back in December, Revis said he would like to stay with the Jets, but you can wonder if he still feels the same way after the past week's events.
According to The New York Post, Revis is looking for a $100 million deal, which would make him the highest-paid defensive player in the history of the NFL. Not only is he worth every penny, but the Jets owe him as much after treating him with such disrespect.
Here are five other reasons why the Jets should never trade Darrelle Revis.
It's been said that 70 percent of the earth's surface is covered by water and the other 30 percent is covered by Revis. And that’s not far from the truth.
Revis is the best shutdown corner in the NFL, and they don't call him Revis Island for nothing. He can hold his own against any wide receiver in the league and allows Rex Ryan to experiment with blitz packages. In that sense, Revis is a unique player.
Take a look at this list of receivers from January of 2010, during what was arguably Revis' greatest season.
Notice how Revis neutralized Andre Johnson during the best year of his career, took care of business against Randy Moss twice and completely humiliated Chad Ochocinco (a.k.a Chad Johnson) by not allowing him a single reception.
One does not simply give up a player with that kind of skills.
Just like these players have become the embodiment of their respective franchises, so has Revis when it comes to the Jets.
He is the only player on the roster who is known to fans around the league for the right reasons. When fans talk about Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow, they talk about butt fumbles and bench-warming. Revis still commands respect around the league.
Revis has been with the Jets since he was drafted in 2007 and has become a huge part of the franchise's identity. If he wants to stay with the organization until he retires, the Jets owe him the opportunity to do so.
The Jets' main problem is that they have three quarterbacks, none of whom are competent enough to deserve a starting position.
It looks like Sanchez might even be the starter for next season as Idzik told reporters that he is "comfortable with Mark Sanchez on the roster." He went on to say that he is going to "make Mark and everyone else better."
The problem is that Sanchez has had four seasons to prove himself, but after a horrible 2012 season in which he threw for less than 3,000 yards and finished with 18 interceptions, it is time to end the Sanchez era.
If the point of trading Revis is to try to find players to place around Sanchez, then the idea should be abandoned as quickly as possible.
The Jets have been spoiled with two quality cornerbacks since Antonio Cromartie joined the team before the 2011 season. Instead of dealing Revis, the Jets should be looking to put Cromartie on the trading block.
Luckily, it seems like this scenario could soon be a possibility. Rich Cimini from ESPN.com reported that "a small segment within the organization would rather trade Cromartie than Revis."
Cimini went on to say that the move makes financial sense as a Revis deal would cost the Jets $12 million in "dead" money. A Cromartie trade, on the other hand, would clear $8.2 million in cap space.
If keeping Revis makes more financial sense, then there is no reason why he should be traded instead of Cromartie.
The 2012 Jets season had such a negative effect on Jets fans that Fireman Ed saw no other option but to resign. Now the organization wants to trade Revis? How badly do they want to hurt their fans?
Being a Jets fan is not easy. Not only has the team not been back in the Super Bowl since it upset the Baltimore Colts in Super Bowl III, but the losses just seem to become increasingly embarrassing.
The fact that the Ryan era is one of the more successful periods in Jets history is quite sad. Two trips to the AFC Championship Game is more than many other Jets coaches have accomplished.
If the Jets want to let the fans know that they truly care, then the team should do everything in their power to keep a fan-favorite like Revis.
Jets fans have suffered enough.