On Sunday, January 27th, Florida International was narrowly defeated by South Alabama 60-58 in conference play. The Golden Panthers stay winless against South Alabama this season at 0-2. The Golden Panthers got nine points and six rebounds from Tola Akomolafe. Tymell Murphy had 11 points and added six rebounds (3 Ast 3 Blk). Augustine Rubit registered a double-double for the Jaguars on a game-high 13 points and 12 rebounds. Next up for Florida International (11-9, 6-5 Sun Belt) is Middle Tennessee State (18-4, 10-1 Sun Belt) on Thursday, January 31st at home.
Florida International Game Notes
- The last time FIU started the season 11-9 was 1999.
- FIU beat the spread by 3.0 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Golden Panthers have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Panthers have been unlucky 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Florida International has lost 35 close games.
- Florida International has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 5 or fewer steals.
- The Golden Panthers have lost 75% of the time this season (2-6) after having a field goal percentage of 39.2% or worse.
- The Golden Panthers set a season high for blocks.
- Our 7 blocks is the 19th best among all NCAA games this season.
- The last time FIU recorded at least 7 blocks was Jan 28, 2012 against Western Kentucky.
- Florida International has been outshot by their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 5 games.
- The top two scorers (Jerome Frink and Malik Smith) accounted for 41.3% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jerome Frink and Tymell Murphy) accounted for 40.6% of the rebounds.
- Jerome Frink has led the team in scoring 5 times and in rebounding 11 times in 20 games this season.
- Tymell Murphy has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Tymell Murphy.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Cameron Bell.
South Alabama Game Notes
- South Alabama won, but did not cover the spread.
- The Jaguars won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, South Alabama has lost 22 close games.
- Augustine Rubit accounted for 32.4% of the team's rebounds.
- Augustine Rubit has led the team in scoring 14 times and in rebounding 14 times in 19 games this season.
- Antoine Allen has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Augustine Rubit recorded the 44th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Augustine Rubit has 11 straight double-digit point games.
- Augustine Rubit recorded a double-double. It was his 11th this season and 37th of his career.
- Dre Conner set a career high with 4 steals.