Alabama State vs. Texas Southern: Full Game Preview
|Alabama State||J Freelove 12.7||S Patterson 5.0||D McDaniel 3.4|
|Texas Southern||O Strong 16.6||F Sturdivant 7.5||R Penn 5.5|
Alabama State travels to Health & PE Arena on Monday to take on Texas Southern. It gets started at 7:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Hornets are 7-2 against the Tigers over the last four years. They lost 67-59 the last time they played (2/25/2012).
Alabama State is in 5th place in the conference and just behind 3rd place Texas Southern with a chance to close in.
In their last outing, despite 19 points and 10 rebounds from Bobby Brown, the Hornets fell to Prairie View A&M 74-72 on January 26th. In addition to his 6.3 points per game, he is also chipping in 4.0 rebounds per game. For the Tigers, Ray Penn put up 20 points and 7 assists in the 89-56 blowout of Alabama A&M on January 26th. He is averaging 13.0 points per game in addition to a team-best 5.5 assists per game.
There is one important category where Texas Southern has a statistical edge, scoring, where the Tigers have the upper hand over the Hornets, 68 points per game to 61 points per game. Texas Southern will hope to exploit their strength in turnover percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 17.7 in this area ranks 2nd in the conference and 43rd in the country.
Texas Southern StatSmack
- Josh Freelove is ranked 9th in the SWAC in points.
- Jamel Waters is ranked 6th in the SWAC in assists and 48th nationally in steals.
- Alabama State is better under pressure, and has defeated Texas Southern in 5 out of the last 9 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Alabama State takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Texas Southern (3 vs 1).
- At least you keep showing up. Alabama State has an average margin of victory of 9 over Texas Southern in 33 wins since 1982.
- Alabama State has a better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (48.34% to 39.80%).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Alabama State has come back to win after being down at half against Texas Southern 6 times since 2002.
- We just win. Alabama State has more wins over the last 5 years than Texas Southern (93 vs 72).
- We make our fans proud. Alabama State has a better record at home than Texas Southern this season (5-2 vs 4-3).
- The Alabama State steals leader (Jamel Waters) has more steals than the Texas Southern steals leader (Omar Strong).