Virginia Tech allowed 30 points from three-point territory to Clemson and was edged by the Tigers 77-70 in conference play on Sunday, January 27th. The Hokies got a good effort from Erick Green, who got a team-high 25 points and five assists. Jarell Eddie had 19 points and added two rebounds. Milton Jennings recorded a double-double for the Tigers on a career-high 28 points and 14 rebounds. Next up for Virginia Tech (11-8, 2-4 ACC) is 25th-ranked Miami (FL) (13-3, 5-0 ACC) on Wednesday, January 30th on their home court.
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- The last time VT started the season 11-8 was 2007.
- The Hokies have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Virginia Tech has lost 37 close games.
- Virginia Tech has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 59 or fewer total points.
- When the opposition records 10 or more three-pointers this season, Virginia Tech has lost 86% of the time (1-6).
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 44.9% or better this season, Virginia Tech has lost 75% of the time (2-6).
- VT set season lows for field goal percentage and turnovers.
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past 12 games.
- Erick Green accounted for 42.3% of the team's points.
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 17 out of 19 games this season.
- C.J. Barksdale has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 19 games this season.
- This marks the 25th 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has 6 straight 20+ point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for C.J. Barksdale.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Cadarian Raines.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Joey van Zegeren.
Clemson Game Notes
- The Tigers won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Clemson has lost 32 close games.
- Milton Jennings recorded a team season high in points with 28, free throws made with 16, and free throws attempted with 18.
- Milton Jennings accounted for 48.2% of the team's points.
- Milton Jennings accounted for 33.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Milton Jennings has led the team in scoring 6 times and in rebounding 7 times in 19 games this season.
- This marks the 3rd 20-point game of Milton Jennings's career.
- Milton Jennings recorded a double-double. It was his 2nd this season and 7th of his career.
- Milton Jennings set career highs with 28 points, 16 free throws made, 14 rebounds, 11 defensive rebounds, and 4 blocks.
- Devin Booker recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- K.J. McDaniels set career highs with 17 points and 5 three-pointers.