Sam Houston State 67
(11-9, 4-6 away)
Nicholls State 70
(6-12, 4-2 home)
Venue: Stopher Gym
5:15PM ET / 2:15PM PT, January 26, 2013
|Sam Houston State
|Sam Houston State
||D Gatson 8
||T Motley 5
||D Gatson 3
||F Hunter 17
||F Hunter 7
||D Thomas 2
Nicholls State squared off with Sam Houston State on Saturday, January 26th and nipped the Bearkats 70-67 in overtime. Sam Houston State was up 40-28 at the half, but blew the lead in the second half and allowed Nicholls State to come back for the victory. Dantrell Thomas paced the Colonels and put up a game-high 15 points and nine rebounds. JaMarkus Horace scored seven points and added seven rebounds. For the Bearkats, Will Bond got nine points and two rebounds. Nicholls State (6-12, 5-3 SLC) heads to Oral Roberts (12-8, 7-1 SLC) on Thursday, January 31st.
Nicholls State Game Notes
- Nicholls State started 6-12 during the 2009, 2007, and 2004 seasons (since 1996).
- Nicholls State has played in 1 overtime game this season. Over the last 5 seasons, the Colonels have played in 12 overtime games with a record of 5-7.
- The Colonels have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Nicholls State has won 20 close games.
- The Colonels have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 19 or more free throws made.
- Nicholls State has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) when its field goal percentage has been 44.9% or better.
- This season Nicholls State has won 71% of the time (5-2) when Shane Rillieux has 4 assists or more.
- The Colonels set a season high for blocks.
- Nicholls State has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 1st win of the season where the Colonels came back after being down at halftime.
- The top two rebounders (Dantrell Thomas and JaMarkus Horace) accounted for 41.0% of the rebounds.
- Dantrell Thomas has led the team in scoring 4 times and in rebounding 3 times in 18 games this season.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Fred Hunter.
Sam Houston State Game Notes
- The Bearkats have lost 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Sam Houston State has lost 27 close games.
- This loss extended the Bearkats losing streak to 3 games.
- The top two rebounders (James Thomas and Marquel McKinney) accounted for 42.5% of the rebounds.
- DeMarcus Gatlin has led the team in scoring 5 times in 20 games this season.
- James Thomas has led the team in rebounding 6 times in 20 games this season.
- James Thomas recorded the 1st double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Marquel McKinney set a career high with 7 rebounds.