Southern University 57
(14-7, 6-7 away)
Alcorn State 61
(8-16, 5-6 home)
Venue: Davey Whitney Complex
8:30PM ET / 5:30PM PT, January 26, 2013
||M Miller 16
||B Moore 7
||J Grace 3
||M Baker 18
||I Francis 4
||L Luckett 2
Southern University faced off with Alcorn State on Saturday, January 26th and was clipped by the Braves 61-57 in conference play. The Jaguars were paced by Derick Beltran, who got a team-high 15 points and six rebounds. Javan Mitchell had 10 points and added five rebounds. For the Braves, LeAntwan Luckett finished with a season-high 27 points and five rebounds. Southern University (14-7, 8-1 SWAC) welcomes Grambling State (0-17, 0-8 SWAC) on Saturday, February 2nd.
Southern University Game Notes
- Southern University started 14-7 during the 1999 and 1997 seasons (since 1996).
- The Jaguars have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern University has lost 27 close games.
- Southern University has lost 80% of the time this season (1-4) after recording 5 or fewer steals.
- The Jaguars set a season high for free throws made.
- Southern University set a season low for rebounds.
- The top two scorers (Derick Beltran and Javan Mitchell) accounted for 43.8% of the points.
- Macolm Miller accounted for 38.0% of the team's rebounds.
- Derick Beltran has led the team in scoring in 10 out of 21 games this season.
- Macolm Miller has led the team in rebounding in 7 out of 21 games this season.
- Derick Beltran has 7 straight double-digit point games.
- Macolm Miller has 19 straight double-digit point games.
Alcorn State Game Notes
- The Braves won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Alcorn State has lost 21 close games.
- LeAntwan Luckett accounted for 44.2% of the team's points.
- LeAntwan Luckett has led the team in scoring 6 times in 24 games this season.
- Anthony Nieves has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 24 games this season.
- Marquiz Baker has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of LeAntwan Luckett's career.
- LeAntwan Luckett has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Michael Starks.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Josh Nicholas.