Southern University 57
(14-7, 6-7 away)
Alcorn State 61
(8-16, 5-6 home)
Venue: Davey Whitney Complex
8:30PM ET / 5:30PM PT, January 26, 2013
||M Miller 16
||B Moore 7
||J Grace 3
||M Baker 18
||I Francis 4
||L Luckett 2
Alcorn State squared off with Southern University on Saturday, January 26th and came out on top against the Jaguars 61-57 in conference play. LeAntwan Luckett had a big game for the Braves and put up a season-high 27 points plus five rebounds. Michael Starks also contributed, scoring four points and adding four rebounds. For the Jaguars, Derick Beltran finished with a team-high 15 points and six rebounds. Next up for Alcorn State (7-16, 5-3 SWAC) is Jackson State (3-14, 2-6 SWAC) on Saturday, February 2nd on their home court.
Alcorn State Game Notes
- Alcorn State started 8-16 during the 2006, 2003, and 2002 seasons (since 1996).
- The Braves have won 4 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Alcorn State has won 17 close games.
- The Braves have won 78% of the time this season (7-2) after recording 61 or more total points.
- This season Alcorn State has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Marquiz Baker has 6 free throws made or more.
- Alcorn State set a season low for assists.
- The Braves have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- Alcorn State has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 9th game at home this season--Alcorn State has a 2.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- LeAntwan Luckett accounted for 44.2% of the team's points.
- LeAntwan Luckett has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 24 games this season.
- Anthony Nieves has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 24 games this season.
- Marquiz Baker has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 4th 20-point game of LeAntwan Luckett's career.
- LeAntwan Luckett has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Michael Starks.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Josh Nicholas.
Southern University Game Notes
- The Jaguars have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Southern University has lost 27 close games.
- The top two scorers (Derick Beltran and Javan Mitchell) accounted for 43.8% of the points.
- Macolm Miller accounted for 38.0% of the team's rebounds.
- Derick Beltran has led the team in scoring 10 times in 21 games this season.
- Macolm Miller has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 21 games this season.
- Derick Beltran has 7 straight double-digit point games.
- Macolm Miller has 19 straight double-digit point games.