On Saturday, January 26th, Northern Iowa took on Indiana State and suffered a heartbreaking loss against the Sycamores 59-58 in conference play. With the loss, the Panthers stay winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-4 for the season. Jake Koch put up 13 points and four rebounds in a losing effort. Anthony James had 15 points and added three rebounds. For the Sycamores, Jake Odum finished with a game-high 16 points and seven rebounds. Northern Iowa (11-10, 4-5 The Valley) gets Evansville (12-8, 5-3 The Valley) on the road on Tuesday, January 29th.
Northern Iowa Game Notes
- The Panthers have been unlucky 5 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Northern Iowa has lost 26 close games.
- Northern Iowa has lost 100% of the time this season (0-5) after recording 19 or fewer field goals made.
- The Panthers have lost 100% of the time this season (0-8) after having a field goal percentage of 43.2% or worse.
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, Northern Iowa has lost 100% of the time (0-4).
- When the opposition records 3 or more blocks this season, Northern Iowa has lost 100% of the time (0-6).
- This is the 2nd loss of the season where the Panthers opponent came back to win after being down at halftime.
- The top two scorers (Anthony James and Jake Koch) accounted for 48.2% of the points.
- Anthony James has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 21 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle has led the team in rebounding in 10 out of 21 games this season.
- Jake Koch had a career high with 4 three-pointers.
- Anthony James has 8 straight double-digit point games.
- Deon Mitchell had a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.
Indiana State Game Notes
- The Sycamores won this one, but have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Indiana State has lost 20 close games.
- The top two scorers (Jake Odum and R.J. Mahurin) accounted for 50.8% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jake Odum and Manny Arop) accounted for 40.7% of the rebounds.
- Jake Odum has led the team in scoring 7 times and in rebounding 3 times in 20 games this season.
- Manny Arop has 7 straight double-digit point games.
- R.J. Mahurin set a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.