|Iona||L Jones 22.3||D Laury 10.1||L Jones 4.0|
|Loyola (MD)||D Cormier 17.6||E Etherly 6.8||R Williams 3.0|
Iona travels to Reitz Arena on Sunday to take on Loyola (MD). Tip-off occurs at 12:00 EST. The Gaels are 5-3 against the Greyhounds over the last four years. They lost 87-81 the last time they played (2/10/2012).
This game will undo the logjam of these two teams at 2nd place in the MAAC.
In a 90-71 dismantling of St. Peter's on January 25th, Lamont Jones put up 24 points for the Gaels. A crucial part of the team, he leads the way with 22.3 points per game and 4.0 assists per game. For the Greyhounds, Erik Etherly finished with 12 points and 7 rebounds in the 51-41 win over Manhattan on January 25th. He averages 15.3 points per game in addition to a team-best 6.8 rebounds per game. Loyola (MD) can be found near the top of the conference standings in the following categories: offensive rebounding percentage at 38.7 and free throw rate at 41.1.
Loyola (MD) StatSmack
- Even computers respect Iona more. We have a better RPI this season than Loyola (RPI: #131 vs #143).
- It must sting. Iona has blown out Loyola by 20 points or more on 7 occasions since 1999.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Iona has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Loyola (1 vs 0).
- The Iona assist leader (Lamont Jones) has more assists than the Loyola assist leader (Dylon Cormier).
- Lamont Jones is ranked 6th nationally in points and 4th in the MAAC in assists.
- Iona is a better three-point shooting team (37.2% vs 27.2%) than Loyola this season.
- New Rochelle isn't as congested as Baltimore (population is significantly lower).
- We just win. Iona has more wins over the last 5 years than Loyola (102 vs 92).
- Iona has a more potent offense, scoring more points (82.8 per game vs 64.5 per game) than Loyola this season.