|Syracuse||B Triche 14.5||C Fair 7.1||M Carter-Williams 9.2|
|Villanova||J Pinkston 13.2||M Yarou 5.8||R Arcidiacono 3.3|
On Saturday, No. 3 Syracuse matches up against Villanova. It gets started at 11:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Orange defeated the Wildcats 72-61 on January 12th and are 4-3 against them over the past four years.
Syracuse is 1st in the conference and Villanova is 7th. Both teams continue to jockey for position.
In a 57-55 triumph over Cincinnati on January 21st, Michael Carter-Williams put up 16 points and 5 rebounds for the Orange. He leads the team with 9.2 assists per game and 3.1 steals per game. For the Wildcats, Ryan Arcidiacono put up 15 points and 5 rebounds in the 73-64 win over Louisville on January 22nd. He is averaging 11.8 points per game in addition to a team-best 3.3 assists per game.
Syracuse looks to have the advantage in two significant areas. The Orange have the upper hand over the Wildcats in blocked shots, seven per game to three per game. Syracuse also has an advantage in scoring, 77 points per game to 69 points per game. A key area of strength for Villanova is free throw rate at 51.8, which ranks 1st in their conference (and 1st nationally).
- Syracuse does a better job contesting shots (35.0% allowed vs 40.1% allowed) than Villanova this season.
- Obviously, AP Voters agree that Syracuse is superior to Villanova (Latest AP Poll: #7 vs Not Ranked).
- It must sting. Syracuse has blown out Villanova by 20 points or more on 3 occasions since 1998.
- C.J. Fair is ranked 6th in the Big East in rebounds.
- AP voters think more highly of Syracuse and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Villanova (144 vs 94).
- Syracuse can actually jump, with more rebounds (44.8 per game vs 37.3 per game) than Villanova this season.
- Be afraid. Syracuse has blown out more teams than Villanova this season (9 blowouts vs 2).
- The Syracuse assist leader (Michael Carter-Williams) has more assists than the Villanova assist leader (Ryan Arcidiacono).
- We make our fans proud. Syracuse has a better record at home than Villanova this season (10-0 vs 5-2).
- The Syracuse scoring leader (Brandon Triche) has more points than the Villanova scoring leader (JayVaughn Pinkston).
- You get an A for effort, but Syracuse has emerged victorious against Villanova the last 2 times they've played.