UC Irvine vs. Long Beach State: Full Game Preview
|UC Irvine||D Starring 14.1||A Folker 6.5||A Young 3.9|
|Long Beach State||J Ennis 17.0||J Ennis 7.2||M Caffey 4.4|
On Saturday, Long Beach State hosts UC Irvine at The Walter Pyramid. The game tips off at 7:05 EST. The 49ers are 8-2 against the Anteaters over the last four years. The last time they met (3/9/2012) they won 68-57.
UC Irvine is in 3rd place in the conference and just behind 1st place Long Beach State with a chance to catch up.
In an 81-71 triumph over Cal State Fullerton on January 19th, James Ennis put up 23 points and 11 rebounds for the 49ers. A stat-sheet stuffer, he leads the team with 17.0 points per game, 7.2 rebounds per game, and 1.8 blocks per game. For the Anteaters, Daman Starring finished with 22 points in the 68-58 loss to UC Riverside on January 19th. His 14.1 points per game is the highest mark on the team. A key area of strength for UC Irvine is defensive rebounding percentage at 72.0, which ranks 2nd in their conference (and 48th nationally).
UC Irvine StatSmack
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Long Beach State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (959 to 939) than UC Irvine, per the NCAA.
- You get an A for effort, but Long Beach State has emerged victorious against UC Irvine the last 4 times they've played.
- James Ennis is ranked 5th in the Big West in points, 9th in the Big West in rebounds, 8th in the Big West in steals, and 3rd in the Big West in blocks.
- Long Beach State has a much lower admission rate (more selective) according to Kiplinger (32% vs 44%).
- Long Beach State has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than UC Irvine ($28,628 vs $47,853).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Long Beach State has come back to win after being down at half against UC Irvine 10 times since 1997.
- Long Beach State has a much lower in-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than UC Irvine ($17,468 vs $24,974).
- Michael Caffey is ranked 3rd in the Big West in assists and 5th in the Big West in steals.
- Dan Jennings is ranked 7th in the Big West in blocks.
- Long Beach State waxed UC Irvine by 11 points the last time they played (Mar 09, 2012).
- Long Beach State has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.587 to 0.411).
|C||Will Davis II||23||7||6||1||0||2||2|