Ohio State vs. Penn State: Full Game Preview
|Ohio State||D Thomas 20.5||D Thomas 6.7||A Craft 4.7|
|Penn State||T Frazier 16.3||R Travis 7.1||D (DJ) Newbill 3.9|
Penn State plays host to No. 14 Ohio State at Bryce Jordan Center on Saturday. It takes place at 12:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN 2. The Nittany Lions are 0-7 against the Buckeyes over the last four years. They lost 78-54 the last time they played (1/25/2012).
Penn State is currently in 12th place in the conference and Ohio State is in 4th. Penn State is struggling, currently on a seven-game losing streak.
The Nittany Lions fell 72-49 to Indiana on January 23rd. Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with 18 points and 7 rebounds in the loss. He tallies 15.5 points per game in addition to a team-best 3.9 assists per game. For the Buckeyes, Deshaun Thomas finished with 16 points and 7 rebounds in the 72-63 win over Iowa on January 22nd. With 20.5 points per game and 6.7 rebounds per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Reviewing current performance metrics, Ohio State has an edge in two significant categories. The Buckeyes have an advantage over the Nittany Lions when it comes to assists, 14 per game to nine per game. Additionally, Ohio State has an edge over Penn State in scoring, 73 points per game to 61 points per game.
Ohio State StatSmack
- Jermaine Marshall is ranked 5th in the Big Ten in steals.
- Ross Travis is ranked 8th in the Big Ten in rebounds.
- State College isn't as congested as Columbus (population is significantly lower).
- Penn State has a much higher 4-year graduation rate than Ohio State according to Kiplinger (62% vs 46%).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Penn State currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (980 to 962) than Ohio State, per the NCAA.
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Penn State has come back to win after being down at half against Ohio State 4 times since 1997.
- At least you keep showing up. Penn State has an average margin of victory of 8 over Ohio State in 11 wins since 1991.
- Penn State has a much better NCSA Power Ranking than Ohio State (#11 vs #53).
- Penn State is better under pressure, and has defeated Ohio State in 4 out of the last 7 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
|B||L. Smith Jr.||27||10||6||2||1||0||2|
|C||A. Della Valle||10||3||2||0||0||1||1|