Ohio State vs. Penn State: Full Game Preview
|Ohio State||D Thomas 20.5||D Thomas 6.7||A Craft 4.7|
|Penn State||T Frazier 16.3||R Travis 7.1||D (DJ) Newbill 3.9|
No. 14 Ohio State heads to Bryce Jordan Center on Saturday to take on Penn State. It gets started at 12:00 EST and it can be seen on ESPN 2. The Buckeyes are 7-0 against the Nittany Lions over the last four years. The last time they met (1/25/2012) they won 78-54.
Ohio State is 4th in the conference and Penn State is 12th. Both teams continue to jockey for position.
The 16 points and 7 rebounds by Deshaun Thomas helped the Buckeyes to a 72-63 victory over Iowa on January 22nd. He leads the team in points with 20.5 per game and rebounds with 6.7 per game. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with 18 points and 7 rebounds in the 72-49 loss to Indiana on January 23rd. He averages 15.5 points per game in addition to a team-best 3.9 assists per game.
Ohio State has an advantage in two key statistical areas. The Buckeyes have the upper hand over the Nittany Lions in assists, 14 per game to nine per game. Additionally, Ohio State has the advantage over Penn State in scoring, 73 points per game to 61 points per game. One category in which Penn State is especially proficient is defensive rebounding percentage at 74.6, ranking 1st in their conference (and 6th nationally).
Penn State StatSmack
- Deshaun Thomas is ranked 38th nationally in points and 6th in the Big Ten in three-pointers.
- Ohio State takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Penn State (6 vs 1).
- Ohio State is better at defending the three (31.7% allowed vs 36.0% allowed) than Penn State this season.
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Ohio State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Penn State (16 vs 0).
- The Ohio State steals leader (Shannon Scott) has more steals than the Penn State steals leader (Jermaine Marshall).
- Ohio State has a more potent offense, scoring more points (78.3 per game vs 65.4 per game) than Penn State this season.
- You get an A for effort, but Ohio State has emerged victorious against Penn State the last 17 times they've played.
- At least you keep showing up. Ohio State has an average margin of victory of 10 over Penn State in 29 wins since 1991.
- Ohio State has a better scoring defense (57.5 allowed per game vs 65.9 allowed per game) than Penn State this season.
- We're a talent magnet. Since 1998 Ohio State has recruited more Top 10 high school players than Penn State (3 vs 0).
- Ohio State has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (0.747 to 0.453).
|B||L. Smith Jr.||27||10||6||2||1||0||2|
|C||A. Della Valle||10||3||2||0||0||1||1|