On Thursday, January 24th, Virginia Tech allowed 33 points from three-point territory to Virginia and was trounced by the Cavaliers 74-58 in conference play. Erick Green got his fifth straight game with 22 points or more for the Hokies, scoring a staggering 35 points on 61% shooting in 38 minutes. The Hokies got a good performance from Erick Green, who put up a remarkable 35 points and nine rebounds. Jarell Eddie scored nine points and added nine rebounds. For the Cavaliers, Evan Nolte got a season-high 18 points, including 5-of-9 shooting from three-point range. Virginia Tech (11-7, 2-3 ACC) gets Clemson (10-8, 2-4 ACC) on the road on Sunday, January 27th.
Virginia Tech Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:20 left to go.
- Virginia Tech started 11-7 during the 2011, 2007, and 2004 seasons (since 1996).
- Virginia Tech has lost 100% of the time this season (0-4) after recording 3 or fewer steals.
- When the opposition commits 6 or fewer turnovers this season, Virginia Tech has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 11 or more three-pointers this season, Virginia Tech has lost 75% of the time (1-3).
- VT set season lows for blocks and field goals made.
- Virginia Tech has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past 11 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--VT has a 7.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Erick Green recorded a team season high in points with 35.
- Erick Green accounted for 60.3% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jarell Eddie and Erick Green) accounted for 56.2% of the rebounds.
- Erick Green has led the team in scoring in 16 out of 18 games this season.
- Jarell Eddie has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 18 games this season.
- This marks the 24th 20-point game of Erick Green's career.
- Erick Green has 5 straight 20+ point games.
- Erick Green had career highs with 35 points and 9 rebounds.
Virginia Game Notes
- Evan Nolte recorded a team season high in three-pointers with 5.
- The top two scorers (Evan Nolte and Joe Harris) accounted for 47.2% of the points.
- Akil Mitchell accounted for 33.3% of the team's rebounds.
- Akil Mitchell has led the team in rebounding 13 times in 18 games this season.
- Joe Harris has 8 straight double-digit point games.