Milan have been linked heavily in recent weeks with both 30-year-old Brazilian midfielder Kaka and 22-year-old Italian striker Balotelli. Kaka, currently with Real Madrid, played for Milan from 2003 until 2009 and was named FIFA World Player of the Year in 2007. Balotelli joined Manchester City from Inter Milan in 2010.
The Guardian reported on Sunday that Balotelli could leave Man City this week. City and Milan reportedly differed in their valuations of Balotelli, but a loan move reportedly remained possible as well.
Goal.com reported on Tuesday that Milan were in talks with Real Madrid over Kaka. According to Milan vice-president Adriano Galliani, the negotiations had been endangered for "fiscal reasons."
On Thursday, Berlusconi ruled out both deals, saying Milan could not afford either. "Neither Balotelli nor Kaka will arrive at Milan," he said (per Yahoo! Sports). "These are impossible deals in times like this."
Don't give up just yet, though. According to ESPN FC, Milan could be trying to raise the money needed for Balotelli. The word comes from the agent of Milan defender Ignazio Abate, who says Abate could be sold to Zenit St. Petersburg in order to finance other business.
Milan reportedly rejected a €10 million bid from Zenit. Agent Claudio Pasqualin said: “If Zenit raise their offer, then maybe something will change, considering Milan are looking for the cash to take Mario Balotelli.”
Stay tuned to this story. With a week left in January, plenty of time remains for a deal—or deals—to happen.
Like the new article format? Send us feedback!