San Diego State smoked Nevada 78-57 in MWC play on Wednesday, January 23rd. This was anybody's game in the first half, with San Diego State up by only one at the break, but then they had a big second half to put the game away. Chase Tapley played well for the Aztecs and put up a game-high 17 points plus four assists. J.J. O`Brien also had a good outing, scoring 12 points and adding three rebounds. For the Wolf Pack, Deonte Burton finished with 12 points and six assists. Next up for San Diego State (15-4, 3-2 MWC) is 15th-ranked New Mexico (17-2, 4-0 MWC) on Saturday, January 26th on their home court.
San Diego State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 3:45 left to go.
- SDSU beat the spread by 16.0 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Aztecs have beaten the spread.
- This was the 5th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, SDSU has been on the winning end of 32 blowout games.
- The Aztecs have won 100% of the time this season (7-0) after recording 78 or more total points.
- San Diego State has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when its field goal percentage has been 54.4% or better.
- SDSU has won 100% of the time this season (8-0) when opponents record 57 or fewer total points.
- SDSU has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after holding an opponent to under 34.5% field goal percentage.
- This season San Diego State has won 93% of the time (13-1) when Jamaal Franklin has 14 points or more, 83% of the time (5-1) when Chase Tapley has 7 field goals made or more, and 85% of the time (11-2) when DeShawn Stephens has 5 rebounds or more.
- Chase Tapley has led the team in scoring in 6 out of 19 games this season.
- Jamaal Franklin has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Nevada Game Notes
- Nevada lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Malik Story and Jerry Evans Jr) accounted for 54.3% of the points.
- Malik Story has led the team in scoring 7 times in 18 games this season.
- Jerry Evans Jr has led the team in rebounding 4 times in 18 games this season.
- Deonte Burton has 5 straight double-digit point games.