Mississippi State 70
(7-10, 1-7 away)
(12-6, 12-3 home)
Venue: Bud Walton Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 23, 2013
||R Johnson 10
||G Ware 7
||T Bloodman 2
||B Young 16
||M Powell 5
||B Young 4
Arkansas punished Mississippi State 96-70 in SEC action on a night when they won the turnover battle 29-13. Marshawn Powell had a big game for the Razorbacks and put up a team-high 17 points and two rebounds. B.J. Young also had a great outing, scoring 13 points and adding three assists. For the Bulldogs, Gavin Ware got 11 points and eight rebounds. Arkansas (12-6, 3-2 SEC) takes on South Carolina (11-7, 1-4 SEC) on Saturday, January 26th on the road.
Arkansas Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:39 left to go.
- Arkansas started 12-6 during the 2010, 2006, and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- Arkansas beat the spread by 11.0 points. That makes the 4th time this season the Razorbacks have beaten the spread.
- This was the 7th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Arkansas has been on the winning end of 33 blowout games.
- The Razorbacks have won 100% of the time this season (4-0) after recording 33 or more field goals made.
- Arkansas has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) when its field goal percentage has been 49.3% or better.
- Arkansas has won 75% of the time this season (6-2) after committing 13 or fewer turnovers.
- Arkansas has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) when opponents record 36 or fewer rebounds.
- Arkansas has won 78% of the time this season (7-2) after holding an opponent to under 40.7% field goal percentage.
- The Razorbacks set season highs for assists and blocks.
- Our 27 assists is the 18th best among all NCAA games this season.
- Our 11 blocks is the 7th best among all NCAA games this season.
- The last time Arkansas recorded at least 11 blocks was Dec 30, 2011 against Texas Southern.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--Arkansas has a 19.2 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The bench recorded more points (60) than the starters (36).
- Marshawn Powell has led the team in scoring in 9 out of 18 games this season.
- Hunter Mickelson has led the team in rebounding in 6 out of 18 games this season.
- Marshawn Powell has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- B.J. Young has 9 straight double-digit point games.
Mississippi State Game Notes
- Mississippi State lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 4th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, MState has been on the losing end of 10 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Bulldogs losing streak to 3 games.
- Fred Thomas has led the team in scoring 5 times in 17 games this season.
- Gavin Ware has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 17 games this season.
- Fred Thomas has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Colin Borchert.