Even though they entered the game as a 10-point favorite, No. 17 Creighton lost in a stunner to Drake 74-69 in conference play. The game looked like it could be a blowout early, with Drake up 44-28 at the half, but Creighton came out of the locker room and played much better, though they couldn't salvage the win. With the loss, the Bluejays even the season series against Drake at 1-1. Grant Gibbs put up a career-high 18 points plus eight assists (5 Reb 4 Stl) in the loss. Will Artino had eight points and added three rebounds. For the Bulldogs, Richard Carter finished with a season-high 20 points and seven rebounds. Creighton (17-3, 6-2 The Valley) gets Southern Illinois (8-11, 1-7 The Valley) on the road on Sunday, January 27th.
Creighton Game Notes
- The last time Creighton started the season 17-3 was 2003.
- The Bluejays have been unlucky 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Creighton has lost 22 close games.
- Creighton set season lows for three-pointers and three-point percentage.
- The Bluejays have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 13 games.
- Grant Gibbs recorded a team season high in steals with 4.
- The top two scorers (Doug McDermott and Grant Gibbs) accounted for 53.6% of the points.
- Doug McDermott has led the team in scoring in 16 out of 20 games this season.
- Gregory Echenique has led the team in rebounding in 12 out of 20 games this season.
- Doug McDermott has 18 straight double-digit point games.
- Grant Gibbs has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Grant Gibbs had career highs with a 100% three-point percentage and 4 steals.
Drake Game Notes
- The Bulldogs won this one, but have lost 2 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Drake has lost 25 close games.
- The top two scorers (Richard Carter and Ben Simons) accounted for 44.5% of the points.
- The bench recorded more points (43) than the starters (31).
- Richard Carter has led the team in scoring 4 times in 19 games this season.
- Jordan Clarke has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 19 games this season.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Richard Carter's career.
- Richard Carter has 3 straight double-digit point games.