(15-4, 3-2 away)
(12-8, 7-7 home)
Venue: Welsh-Ryan Arena
9:00PM ET / 6:00PM PT, January 23, 2013
||A Hollins 13
||T Mbakwe 8
||A Hollins 3
||R Hearn 14
||J Swopshire 6
||D Sobolewski 4
On Wednesday, January 23rd, Northwestern got an upset over No. 12 Minnesota 55-48 in Big Ten play. With the win, the Wildcats improve their record to 1-3 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Wildcats got the win with a game-high 16 points and eight rebounds from Jared Swopshire. Dave Sobolewski had five points and added five rebounds. Trevor Mbakwe got a double-double for the Golden Gophers with a team-high 14 points and 16 rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 26th when Northwestern (11-8, 2-4 Big Ten) travels to Nebraska (10-10, 1-6 Big Ten).
Northwestern Game Notes
- Northwestern started 12-8 during the 2011 and 2001 seasons (since 1996).
- NU beat the spread by 15.5 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Wildcats have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, NU played 44 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 7-37.
- Northwestern has won 91% of the time this season (10-1) when its field goal percentage has been 42.5% or better.
- The Wildcats have won 83% of the time this season (5-1) after recording 17 or more free throws made.
- NU has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when opponents record 7 or fewer free throws made.
- NU has won 83% of the time this season (5-1) after holding an opponent to under 33.3% field goal percentage.
- NU set a season low for three-pointers.
- Northwestern has recorded fewer rebounds than their opponents for the past 7 games.
- This is the 3rd win of the season where the Wildcats came back after being down at halftime.
- This is the 14th game at home this season--NU has a 2.1 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Jared Swopshire and Reggie Hearn) accounted for 52.7% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Jared Swopshire and Dave Sobolewski) accounted for 41.9% of the rebounds.
- Jared Swopshire has led the team in scoring 3 times and in rebounding 12 times in 20 games this season.
- Jared Swopshire has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Reggie Hearn has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Tre Demps has 4 straight double-digit point games.
Minnesota Game Notes
- Minnesota lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Golden Gophers losing streak to 3 games.
- Trevor Mbakwe recorded a team season high in offensive rebounds with 9.
- The top two scorers (Trevor Mbakwe and Joe Coleman) accounted for 45.8% of the points.
- Trevor Mbakwe accounted for 35.5% of the team's rebounds.
- Trevor Mbakwe has led the team in rebounding 11 times in 19 games this season.
- Trevor Mbakwe recorded the 34th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Trevor Mbakwe has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Trevor Mbakwe has grabbed double-digit rebounds in 5 straight games.
- Trevor Mbakwe recorded a double-double. It was his 7th this season and 30th of his career.
- Trevor Mbakwe set a career high with 9 offensive rebounds.
- Joe Coleman set a career high with 8 rebounds.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Austin Hollins.