Penn State 49
(8-11, 1-4 away)
(7) Indiana 72
(17-2, 12-2 home)
Venue: Assembly Hall (IN)
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 23, 2013
||T Frazier 16
||R Travis 7
||D (DJ) Newbill 3
||C Zeller 16
||C Zeller 8
||K Ferrell 4
Penn State allowed 33 points from three-point territory to No. 7 Indiana and was thumped by the Hoosiers 72-49 in conference play on Wednesday, January 23rd. The Nittany Lions stay winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-4 for the season. Devonte (DJ) Newbill put up a team-high 18 points plus seven rebounds in a losing effort. Ross Travis scored nine points and added five rebounds. For the Hoosiers, Victor Oladipo finished with a game-high 19 points and six rebounds (5 Ast 3 Stl). Penn State (8-11, 0-7 Big Ten) takes on 14th-ranked Ohio State (13-4, 4-2 Big Ten) on Saturday, January 26th on their home court.
Penn State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:38 left to go.
- Penn State started 8-11 during the 2009 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- PSU beat the spread by 2.0 points. That makes the 6th time this season the Nittany Lions have beaten the spread.
- Prior to this game, PSU played 47 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 11-36.
- The Nittany Lions have lost 100% of the time this season (0-5) after having a field goal percentage of 33.3% or worse.
- Penn State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 32 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 45.5% or better this season, Penn State has lost 89% of the time (1-8).
- When the opposition records 21 or more free throws made this season, Penn State has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition records 14 or more assists this season, Penn State has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- The Nittany Lions set a season high for blocks.
- The last time PSU recorded at least 7 blocks was Mar 08, 2012 against Indiana.
- PSU set a season low for three-pointers.
- Penn State has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 7 games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 36.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Jermaine Marshall) accounted for 40.6% of the rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 6 times and in rebounding 4 times in 19 games this season.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill had a career high with 4 steals.
- Jermaine Marshall has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Jermaine Marshall.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Brandon Taylor.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Sasa Borovnjak.
Indiana Game Notes
- Indiana won, but did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Victor Oladipo and Kevin Ferrell) accounted for 47.2% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Christian Watford and Cody Zeller) accounted for 43.5% of the rebounds.
- Victor Oladipo has led the team in scoring 5 times in 19 games this season.
- Christian Watford has led the team in rebounding 8 times in 19 games this season.
- Victor Oladipo set a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.
- Christian Watford has 9 straight double-digit point games.
- Will Sheehey set career highs with 3 three-pointers and a 100% three-point percentage.