Penn State 49
(8-11, 1-4 away)
(7) Indiana 72
(17-2, 12-2 home)
Venue: Assembly Hall (IN)
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 23, 2013
||T Frazier 16
||R Travis 7
||D (DJ) Newbill 3
||C Zeller 16
||C Zeller 8
||K Ferrell 4
On a night when they scored 33 points from three-point territory, No. 7 Indiana punished Penn State 72-49 in Big Ten play. The Hoosiers remain undefeated 2-0 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. Victor Oladipo played brilliantly for the Hoosiers and put up a game-high 19 points and six rebounds (5 Ast 3 Stl). Kevin Ferrell also contributed, scoring a season-high 15 points and adding two rebounds. For the Nittany Lions, Devonte (DJ) Newbill finished with a team-high 18 points and seven rebounds. Indiana (17-2, 5-1 Big Ten) gets 13th-ranked Michigan State (17-3, 6-1 Big Ten) on their home court on Sunday, January 27th.
Indiana Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:38 left to go.
- The last time IU started the season 17-2 was 2007.
- This was the 12th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, IU has been on the winning end of 36 blowout games.
- The Hoosiers have won 92% of the time this season (11-1) after recording 8 or more steals.
- IU has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when opponents record 17 or fewer field goals made.
- IU has won 100% of the time this season (8-0) after holding an opponent to under 33.3% field goal percentage.
- This season Indiana has won 94% of the time (15-1) when Christian Watford has 10 points or more, 93% of the time (14-1) when Victor Oladipo has 4 field goals made or more, and 90% of the time (9-1) when Cody Zeller has 8 rebounds or more.
- The Hoosiers set a season high for three-pointers.
- IU set a season low for field goals made.
- The Hoosiers have recorded more free throws made than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--IU has a 30.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Victor Oladipo and Kevin Ferrell) accounted for 47.2% of the points.
- The top two rebounders (Christian Watford and Cody Zeller) accounted for 43.5% of the rebounds.
- Victor Oladipo has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 19 games this season.
- Christian Watford has led the team in rebounding in 8 out of 19 games this season.
- Victor Oladipo had a career high with a 100% three-point percentage.
- Christian Watford has 9 straight double-digit point games.
- Will Sheehey had career highs with 3 three-pointers and a 100% three-point percentage.
Penn State Game Notes
- This was the 4th blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, PSU has been on the losing end of 18 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Nittany Lions losing streak to 7 games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill accounted for 36.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Devonte (DJ) Newbill and Jermaine Marshall) accounted for 40.6% of the rebounds.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in scoring 6 times and in rebounding 4 times in 19 games this season.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill set a career high with 4 steals.
- Jermaine Marshall has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 5th foul out of the season for Jermaine Marshall.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Brandon Taylor.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Sasa Borovnjak.