Northern Iowa squared off with Southern Illinois on Wednesday, January 23rd and beat the Salukis 58-45 in conference play. Anthony James led the Panthers and got 14 points plus five rebounds. Marc Sonnen was on fire from three-point range, going 5 for 7 to get to a game-high 15 points overall. For the Salukis, Desmar Jackson finished with nine points and five rebounds. The next game will be on Saturday, January 26th when Northern Iowa (11-9, 4-4 The Valley) travels to Indiana State (12-7, 5-3 The Valley).
Northern Iowa Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 2:55 left to go.
- UNI beat the spread by 2.0 points. That makes the 10th time this season the Panthers have beaten the spread.
- Northern Iowa has won 89% of the time this season (8-1) when its field goal percentage has been 48.8% or better.
- The Panthers have won 75% of the time this season (6-2) after recording 8 or more three-pointers.
- UNI has won 100% of the time this season (4-0) when opponents record 3 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Northern Iowa has won 80% of the time (4-1) when Marc Sonnen has 15 points or more, 80% of the time (4-1) when Jake Koch plays 32 minutes or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when Matt Bohannon has 3 three-pointers or more.
- The Panthers have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--UNI has a 16.6 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Marc Sonnen and Anthony James) accounted for 50.0% of the points.
- Seth Tuttle accounted for 34.4% of the team's rebounds.
- Marc Sonnen has led the team in scoring in 5 out of 20 games this season.
- Seth Tuttle has led the team in rebounding in 9 out of 20 games this season.
- Anthony James has 7 straight double-digit point games.
- Seth Tuttle recorded the 9th double-digit rebound game of his career.
Southern Illinois Game Notes
- Southern Illinois lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Salukis losing streak to 3 games.
- The top two scorers (Dantiel Daniels and Desmar Jackson) accounted for 44.4% of the points.
- Dantiel Daniels has led the team in scoring 3 times in 19 games this season.
- Desmar Jackson has led the team in rebounding 7 times in 19 games this season.