On Wednesday, January 23rd, Indiana State took on Illinois State and suffered a close loss to the Redbirds 60-58 in conference play. The Sycamores remain winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-3 for the season. The Sycamores got a team-high 13 points and four rebounds from Manny Arop. Lucas Eitel scored three points and added five rebounds. For the Redbirds, Jackie Carmichael finished with 16 points and nine rebounds. Next up for Indiana State (12-7, 5-3 The Valley) is Northern Iowa (11-9, 4-4 The Valley) on Saturday, January 26th on their home court.
Indiana State Game Notes
- The last time ISU started the season 12-7 was 2010.
- ISU beat the spread by 6.0 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Sycamores have beaten the spread.
- The Sycamores have been unlucky 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Indiana State has lost 20 close games.
- Indiana State has lost 83% of the time this season (1-5) after committing 15 or more turnovers.
- The Sycamores have lost 75% of the time this season (1-3) after having a field goal percentage of 38.3% or worse.
- Indiana State has lost 75% of the time this season (2-6) after recording 10 or fewer assists.
- When the opposition records 18 or more free throws made this season, Indiana State has lost 100% of the time (0-6).
- ISU set a season low for free throws made.
- The Sycamores have recorded more assists than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- Manny Arop has led the team in scoring in 9 out of 19 games this season.
- R.J. Mahurin has led the team in rebounding in 4 out of 19 games this season.
- Manny Arop has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- R.J. Mahurin had a career high with 8 rebounds.
Illinois State Game Notes
- Illinois State won, but did not cover the spread.
- The Redbirds won this one, but have lost 4 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Illinois State has lost 30 close games.
- The top two scorers (Johnny Hill and Jackie Carmichael) accounted for 56.6% of the points.
- Jackie Carmichael has led the team in rebounding 17 times in 20 games this season.
- Jackie Carmichael has 12 straight double-digit point games.