On Wednesday, January 23rd, Illinois State just barely slipped by Indiana State 60-58 in conference action. The Redbirds now have a record of 0-2 versus AP-Ranked teams this season. The Redbirds were led by Jackie Carmichael, who put up 16 points plus nine rebounds. Johnny Hill also had a solid outing, scoring a game-high 18 points and adding three rebounds. For the Sycamores, Manny Arop finished with a team-high 13 points and four rebounds. Illinois State (11-9, 2-6 The Valley) takes on Evansville (12-8, 5-3 The Valley) on Saturday, January 26th on their home court.
Illinois State Game Notes
- The last time IllSt started the season 11-9 was 2006.
- The Redbirds have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Illinois State has won 39 close games.
- The Redbirds have won 100% of the time this season (5-0) after recording 11 or more steals.
- IllSt has won 100% of the time this season (5-0) when opponents record 58 or fewer total points.
- This season Illinois State has won 80% of the time (4-1) when John Wilkins has 4 field goals made or more and 83% of the time (5-1) when Jackie Carmichael has 3 blocks or more.
- IllSt set season lows for assists, field goals made, three-pointers, and three-point percentage.
- The Redbirds have outshot their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--IllSt has a 12.1 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Johnny Hill and Jackie Carmichael) accounted for 56.6% of the points.
- Jackie Carmichael has led the team in rebounding in 17 out of 20 games this season.
- Jackie Carmichael has 12 straight double-digit point games.
Indiana State Game Notes
- The Sycamores have lost 3 times this season in games decided by 5 or fewer points. Since 2007, Indiana State has lost 20 close games.
- Manny Arop has led the team in scoring 9 times in 19 games this season.
- R.J. Mahurin has led the team in rebounding 4 times in 19 games this season.
- Manny Arop has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- R.J. Mahurin set a career high with 8 rebounds.