(9-10, 0-7 away)
Southern Miss 102
(16-4, 9-0 home)
Venue: Reed Green Coliseum
7:00PM ET / 4:00PM PT, January 23, 2013
||E Pittman 14
||D Tinnon 8
||D Kane 7
||D Davis 13
||J Mills 6
||N Watson 5
On a night when they shot 63%, Southern Miss easily took down Marshall 102-46 in C-USA play. Southern Miss was up big at the break, 53-17, and didn't let up in the second half. The Golden Eagles got the win with 19 points and five rebounds (5 Ast 4 Stl) from Dwayne Davis. Jerrold Brooks also had an outstanding outing, scoring a game-high 20 points and adding three assists. For the Thundering Herd, Jamir Hanner finished with eight points and three rebounds. Southern Miss (15-4, 5-0 C-USA) gets Tulsa (12-8, 4-2 C-USA) on the road on Saturday, January 26th.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 17:46 left to go.
- The last time USM started the season 16-4 was 2000.
- The win over Marshall extended the Southern Miss winning streak to 8 games.
- USM beat the spread by 46.5 points. That makes the 12th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- This was the 6th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, USM has been on the winning end of 31 blowout games.
- The Golden Eagles have won 100% of the time this season (6-0) after recording 19 or more free throws made.
- Southern Miss has won 80% of the time this season (16-4) after committing 16 or fewer turnovers.
- USM has won 100% of the time this season (6-0) after holding an opponent to under 33.3% field goal percentage.
- USM has won 100% of the time this season (10-0) when opponents record 13 or fewer free throws made.
- This season Southern Miss has won 100% of the time (5-0) when Daveon Boardingham has 12 points or more, 80% of the time (8-2) when Michael Craig has 4 field goals made or more, and 100% of the time (4-0) when Jerrold Brooks has 4 free throws made or more.
- The Golden Eagles have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 8 games.
- Southern Miss has recorded fewer blocks than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 8th game at home this season--USM has a 34.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jerrold Brooks has led the team in scoring in 7 out of 20 games this season.
- Neil Watson had a career high with a 100% field goal percentage.
- This marks the 2nd 20-point game of Jerrold Brooks's career.
- Dwayne Davis has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Jonathan Mills.
- This was the 4th foul out of the season for Michael Craig.
Marshall Game Notes
- Marshall lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 3rd blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Marshall has been on the losing end of 9 blowout games.
- Elijah Pittman accounted for 34.7% of the team's points.
- The bench recorded more rebounds (9) than the starters (7).
- Elijah Pittman has led the team in scoring 5 times in 19 games this season.
- DeAndre Kane has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- DeAndre Kane set a career high with 4 three-pointers.
- Elijah Pittman has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Dennis Tinnon.
- Dennis Tinnon set a career high with 4 steals.