(11) Kansas 59
(17-1, 4-0 away)
(11) Kansas State 55
(15-3, 12-1 home)
Venue: Bramlage Coliseum
8:00PM ET / 5:00PM PT, January 22, 2013
||B McLemore 16
||J Withey 8
||E Johnson 4
||R McGruder 15
||T Gipson 5
||A Rodriguez 4
On Tuesday, January 22nd, No. 3 Kansas clipped No. 11 Kansas State 59-55 in conference play. The Jayhawks move to 2-1 versus AP-Ranked teams this season with the win. Travis Releford led the Jayhawks and put up a team-high 12 points on 83% shooting. Perry Ellis scored eight points and added four rebounds. For the Wildcats, Angel Rodriguez got 12 points and eight assists. The next game will be on Saturday, January 26th when Kansas (16-1, 5-0 Big 12) welcomes Oklahoma (13-4, 4-1 Big 12).
Kansas Game Notes
- Kansas started 17-1 during the 2009, 2004, and 2000 seasons (since 1996).
- The win over Kansas State extended the Kansas winning streak to 16 games.
- KU beat the spread by 0.5 points. That makes the 8th time this season the Jayhawks have beaten the spread.
- The Jayhawks have won 3 close games this season (a win by 5 or fewer points). Since 2007, Kansas has won 27 close games.
- Prior to this game, KU played 41 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 28-13.
- KU set season lows for blocks and total points.
- Kansas has recorded fewer three-pointers than their opponents for the past 5 games.
- The top two rebounders (Jeff Withey and Kevin Young) accounted for 45.7% of the rebounds.
- Travis Releford has led the team in scoring in 4 out of 18 games this season.
- Jeff Withey has led the team in rebounding in 11 out of 18 games this season.
- Travis Releford has 15 straight double-digit point games.
- Jeff Withey recorded the 14th double-digit rebound game of his career.
- Jeff Withey recorded a double-double. It was his 7th this season and 13th of his career.
- Ben McLemore has 6 straight double-digit point games.
Kansas State Game Notes
- Kansas State lost and did not cover the spread.
- Shane Southwell recorded a team season high in three pointers attempted with 11.
- Shane Southwell accounted for 34.5% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Shane Southwell and Angel Rodriguez) accounted for 42.8% of the rebounds.
- Shane Southwell has led the team in scoring 3 times and in rebounding 3 times in 18 games this season.
- Rodney McGruder has 9 straight double-digit point games.
- Shane Southwell set career highs with 19 points, 7 field goals made, and 5 three-pointers.