Duke vs. Miami: Full Game Preview
|Duke||M Plumlee 17.4||M Plumlee 11.5||Q Cook 6.1|
|Miami||D Scott 13.8||R Johnson 10.1||S Larkin 3.9|
No. 25 Miami (FL) hosts No. 1 Duke at BankUnited Center on Wednesday. Tip-off occurs at 7:00 EST and you can see it on ESPN. The Hurricanes are 1-5 against the Blue Devils over the last four years. The last time they met (2/5/2012) they won 78-74.
Miami (FL) is in 1st place in the conference and needs to hold off 3rd place Duke. Miami (FL) is rolling, currently on a five-game winning streak.
In their last outing, behind 15 points from Durand Scott, the Hurricanes defeated Boston College 60-59 on January 16th. He leads the team with 13.8 points per game. For the Blue Devils, Mason Plumlee finished with 16 points and 13 rebounds in the 73-57 blowout of Georgia Tech on January 17th. He leads the team in points with 17.4 per game, rebounds with 11.5 per game, and blocks with 1.7 per game.
Reviewing current performance metrics, Duke has an edge in one significant category, scoring, where the Blue Devils have the upper hand over the Hurricanes, 78 points per game to 67 points per game. Areas of strength for Duke include: turnover percentage at 16.2 and effective field goal percentage at 54.0.
- Shane Larkin is ranked 10th in the ACC in assists and 2nd in the ACC in steals.
- Miami has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Duke ($50,148 vs $53,157).
- Miami is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Miami is 226 lbs compared to 204 lbs for Duke.
- Coral Gables isn't as congested as Durham (population is significantly lower).
- Reggie Johnson is ranked 9th in the ACC in blocks.
- Miami beat Duke by 4 points the last time they played (Feb 05, 2012).
- The Miami steals leader (Shane Larkin) has more steals than the Duke steals leader (Tyler Thornton).
- Miami is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Miami is 79.2 inches compared to 77.5 inches for Duke.
- Miami players are more experienced than Duke players (14,789 minutes played vs 11,677 minutes played).