Michigan State vs. Wisconsin: Full Game Preview
|Michigan State||K Appling 13.8||A Payne 7.1||K Appling 4.4|
|Wisconsin||J Berggren 12.7||R Evans 7.6||B Brust 3.0|
No. 18 Michigan State travels to Kohl Center on Tuesday to take on Wisconsin. Tip-off is at 7:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN. The Spartans are 6-2 against the Badgers over the last four years. They won 65-52 on 3/10/2012 the last time they played.
Wisconsin is in 2nd place in the Big Ten and needs to catch Michigan State, who is currently in 1st place.
In their last game, Keith Appling put up 15 points in the Spartans 59-56 win over Ohio State on January 19th. He contributes a team-high 13.8 points per game and 4.4 assists per game. For the Badgers, George Marshall put up 20 points in the 70-66 loss to Iowa on January 19th. He contributes 1.4 assists per game in addition to his 5.7 points per game.
Analyzing the differences between the teams, Wisconsin has an edge in one important area, turnovers, where the Badgers have the upper hand over the Spartans, nine per game to 14 per game. One category in which Wisconsin is especially proficient is turnover percentage at 14.5, ranking 1st in their conference (and 1st nationally).
- The Michigan State scoring leader (Keith Appling) has more points than the Wisconsin scoring leader (Jared Berggren).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Michigan State has a stronger schedule than Wisconsin this season (SOS Rank: #60 vs #254).
- We beat real teams. Michigan State has more wins against the RPI Top 50 than Wisconsin this season (2 vs 0).
- Obviously, AP Voters agree that Michigan State is superior to Wisconsin (Latest AP Poll: #18 vs Not Ranked).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Michigan State has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Wisconsin (19 vs 4).
- Derrick Nix is ranked 2nd in the Big Ten in rebounds.
- The Michigan State assist leader (Keith Appling) has more assists than the Wisconsin assist leader (Ben Brust).
- Michigan State waxed Wisconsin by 13 points the last time they played (Mar 10, 2012).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Michigan State has come back to win after being down at half against Wisconsin 5 times since 1997.
- East Lansing isn't as congested as Madison (population is significantly lower).