(Photo by J. Meric/Getty Images for Top Flite)
In my opinion, SportsCenter was never better than when Kenny Mayne was behind the desk. He took the idea of "catch phrases," and made them "high comedy." Because of this, he cements himself atop my list of "Top 10 SportsCenter Personalities." I present into evidence:
- "Your puny ballparks are too small to contain my gargantuan blasts! Bring me the finest meats and cheeses for a clubhouse feast!"
- "I'm not sure what the pitch is, but it tastes like chicken."
- "I am amused by the simplicity of this game."
- "Take a seat. More beer for me."
- "But we all know that games aren't played on paper...they are played by little men inside our TV sets."
- "And the players are gay...and joyful."
- "Rod Beck, where it's at."
- "Everyone put your hands up, way up in the air, and wave them as if there are no repercussions."
- "Jeff Gordon takes the checkered flag, and he'll have to give it back for the next race."
- "Obviously, he hasn't watched Tom Emanski's "Defensive Drills." It's endorsed by Fred McGriff, you know."
- "Later on the car was torn apart by wild dogs."
- "He hit it over some fencing they had set up in the outfield."
- "Only Barnes and Noble lets someone stand around longer doing nothing."
- "Barry Sanders went over the 2,000-yard rushing mark today. Not in one game, that would be a record or something."
And my personal favorite:
- "He scored 13 off the bench. Had he been on the bench, he'd have been out of bounds."
***See more of Justin at www.turningtwo.com