Southern Miss turned the ball over only eight times and blew out UAB 74-59 in conference play on Saturday, January 19th. The Golden Eagles got the win with a team-high 13 points from Cedric Jenkins on 67% shooting in 16 minutes. Rashard McGill had five points and added six rebounds. For the Blazers, Jordan Swing finished with nine points and six rebounds. Southern Miss (14-4, 4-0 C-USA) takes on Marshall (8-9, 1-1 C-USA) on Wednesday, January 23rd at home.
Southern Miss Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 5:04 left to go.
- The last time USM started the season 15-4 was 2000.
- The win over UAB extended the Southern Miss winning streak to 7 games.
- USM beat the spread by 4.5 points. That makes the 11th time this season the Golden Eagles have beaten the spread.
- The Golden Eagles have won 100% of the time this season (8-0) after recording 74 or more total points.
- USM has won 100% of the time this season (9-0) when opponents record 13 or fewer free throws made.
- USM has won 85% of the time this season (11-2) after holding an opponent to under 40.8% field goal percentage.
- This season Southern Miss has won 89% of the time (8-1) when Dwayne Davis has 12 points or more, 78% of the time (7-2) when Jonathan Mills plays 30 minutes or more, and 71% of the time (5-2) when Neil Watson has 4 field goals made or more.
- The Golden Eagles have outshot their opponents in field goal percentage for the past 7 games.
- Southern Miss has been outshot by their opponents in free throw percentage for the past 4 games.
- This is the 7th game at home this season--USM has a 31.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Dwayne Davis has led the team in rebounding in 3 out of 19 games this season.
UAB Game Notes
- UAB lost and did not cover the spread.
- This loss extended the Blazers losing streak to 4 games.
- The top two scorers (Terence Jones and Robert Williams) accounted for 45.7% of the points.
- Terence Jones has led the team in scoring 3 times in 18 games this season.
- Rod Rucker has led the team in rebounding 12 times in 18 games this season.