On Saturday, January 19th, Arizona State forced only nine turnovers and was smoked by No. 7 Arizona 71-54 in conference play. Arizona State was within three at the half, but then struggled in the second half as Arizona was able to pull away and win big. The Sun Devils stay winless versus AP-Ranked teams at 0-2 for the season. Jahii Carson put up his third straight game with 20 points or more for the Sun Devils, scoring a team-high 22 points (4 Reb 4 Ast) on 54% shooting in 33 minutes. The Sun Devils got a good effort from Jahii Carson, who put up a team-high 22 points and four rebounds. Evan Gordon had 14 points and added three assists. For the Wildcats, Mark Lyons finished with a game-high 24 points and three rebounds (3 Ast 3 Stl). Arizona State (13-4, 3-2 Pac 12) takes on USC (7-11, 2-3 Pac 12) on Thursday, January 24th on their home court.
Arizona State Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 0:57 left to go.
- The last time ASU started the season 14-4 was 2007.
- Prior to this game, ASU played 18 Top 25 opponents in the last 5 seasons with a record of 6-12.
- Arizona State has lost 100% of the time this season (0-3) after recording 9 or fewer assists.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 46.3% or better this season, Arizona State has lost 100% of the time (0-3).
- When the opposition records 71 or more total points this season, Arizona State has lost 75% of the time (1-3).
- ASU set season lows for field goals made, rebounds, and total points.
- The Sun Devils have recorded more blocks than their opponents for the past 4 games.
- This is the 13th game at home this season--ASU has a 8.9 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- Jahii Carson accounted for 40.7% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Jordan Bachynski and Carrick Felix) accounted for 40.7% of the rebounds.
- Jahii Carson has led the team in scoring in 12 out of 18 games this season.
- Jordan Bachynski has led the team in rebounding in 5 out of 18 games this season.
- This was the 1st foul out of the season for Jonathan Gilling.
- This marks the 8th 20-point game of Jahii Carson's career.
- Jahii Carson has 3 straight 20+ point games.
Arizona Game Notes
- Mark Lyons accounted for 33.8% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Kaleb Tarczewski and Solomon Hill) accounted for 42.4% of the rebounds.
- Mark Lyons has led the team in scoring 10 times in 17 games this season.
- Kaleb Tarczewski has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 17 games this season.
- Solomon Hill has 6 straight double-digit point games.
- Nick Johnson has 3 straight double-digit point games.
- This marks the 15th 20-point game of Mark Lyons's career.
- Mark Lyons has 5 straight double-digit point games.