West Virginia 52
(8-9, 2-7 away)
(10-8, 8-5 home)
Venue: Mackey Arena
2:00PM ET / 11:00AM PT, January 19, 2013
||J Staten 10
||A Murray 6
||J Staten 3
||T Johnson 13
||A Hammons 6
||R Johnson 3
On Saturday, January 19th, Purdue held West Virginia to just 29% from the floor and trounced the Mountaineers 79-52. The Boilermakers got the win with a game-high 17 points and five rebounds from D.J. Byrd. Anthony Johnson had 12 points and added three rebounds. Aaron Brown got a season-high seven points and two rebounds for the Mountaineers. Purdue (10-8, 3-2 Big Ten) goes to fifth-ranked Michigan (17-1, 4-1 Big Ten) on Thursday, January 24th.
Purdue Game Notes
- This game was statistically over in the 2nd half with 9:30 left to go.
- The last time Purdue started the season 10-8 was 1996.
- The win over West Virginia extended the Purdue winning streak to 3 games.
- Purdue beat the spread by 22.5 points. That makes the 7th time this season the Boilermakers have beaten the spread.
- This was the 4th blowout win this season (a win by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, Purdue has been on the winning end of 41 blowout games.
- Purdue has won 86% of the time this season (6-1) when opponents record 3 or fewer three-pointers.
- This season Purdue has won 100% of the time (4-0) when D.J. Byrd has 4 three-pointers or more and 100% of the time (5-0) when Rapheal Davis has 5 rebounds or more.
- The Boilermakers set season highs for three-pointers and three-point percentage.
- The last time Purdue had a three-point percentage of 72.7% or higher was Feb 05, 2000 against Iowa.
- This is the 11th game at home this season--Purdue has a 12.4 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (D.J. Byrd and Rapheal Davis) accounted for 41.7% of the points.
- D.J. Byrd has led the team in scoring in 3 out of 18 games this season.
- A.J. Hammons has led the team in rebounding in 7 out of 18 games this season.
- D.J. Byrd has 3 straight double-digit point games.
West Virginia Game Notes
- West Virginia lost and did not cover the spread.
- This was the 2nd blowout loss this season (a loss by 20 or more points). Over the past 5 seasons, WVU has been on the losing end of 8 blowout games.
- This loss extended the Mountaineers losing streak to 3 games.
- Kevin Noreen has led the team in rebounding 5 times in 17 games this season.
- Gary Browne set a career high with 4 steals.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Aaric Murray.