Illinois State vs. Southern Illinois: Full Game Preview
|Illinois State||J Carmichael 17.9||J Carmichael 8.9||K Keane 4.2|
|Southern Illinois||D Jackson 17.0||J Early 7.7||K Brown-Surles 2.5|
On Sunday, Southern Illinois hosts Illinois State at SIU Arena. Tip-off is at 8:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Salukis are 4-5 against the Redbirds over the last four years. They fell 60-40 on 1/28/2012, the last time they met.
Illinois State is in 10th place in the conference and nipping at the heels of 9th place Southern Illinois.
In their last match-up on January 15th, Desmar Jackson put up 21 points and 6 rebounds for the Salukis in a loss to Bradley, 69-66. He contributes a team-high 17.0 points per game and 2.0 steals per game. For the Redbirds, Jackie Carmichael finished with 22 points and 9 rebounds in the 74-62 loss to Wichita State on January 16th. He puts up a team-leading 17.9 points per game, 8.9 rebounds per game, and 2.0 blocks per game.
Analyzing the differences between the teams, Illinois State has an edge in one important area, scoring, where the Redbirds have the upper hand over the Salukis, 76 points per game to 67 points per game. Illinois State will hope to exploit their strength in effective field goal percentage in this matchup. Their mark of 53.4 in this area ranks 2nd in the conference and 34th in the country.
Illinois State StatSmack
- The Southern Illinois basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Illinois State (100% vs 67%).
- At least you keep showing up. Southern Illinois has an average margin of victory of 9 over Illinois State in 39 wins since 1981.
- Desmar Jackson is ranked 4th in the Missouri Valley in points and 50th nationally in steals.
- Jeff Early is ranked 7th in the Missouri Valley in rebounds.
- Southern Illinois allows fewer rebounds (30.0 allowed per game vs 34.5 allowed per game) than Illinois State this season.
- Dantiel Daniels is ranked 8th in the Missouri Valley in blocks.
- Southern Illinois is better under pressure, and has defeated Illinois State in 4 out of the last 7 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- Southern Illinois takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Illinois State (5 vs 0).
- AP voters think more highly of Southern Illinois and have put us in the AP Top 25 more often over the past 10 years than Illinois State (17 vs 4).
- Southern Illinois has a better overall winning percentage over the last 10 years (0.584 to 0.548).
- The Southern Illinois steals leader (Desmar Jackson) has more steals than the Illinois State steals leader (Johnny Hill).
|C||A. Beane Jr.||30||10||3||2||1||0||2|