On Saturday, January 19th, Penn State took on Nebraska and was beaten at home by the Cornhuskers 68-64 in conference play. The Nittany Lions got a team-high 18 points and two rebounds from Jermaine Marshall. Devonte (DJ) Newbill had 11 points and added seven rebounds. For the Cornhuskers, Shavon Shields finished with a season-high 29 points and six rebounds. Penn State (8-10, 0-6 Big Ten) takes on second-ranked Indiana (15-2, 3-1 Big Ten) on Wednesday, January 23rd on the road.
Penn State Game Notes
- Penn State started 8-10 during the 2009 and 1996 seasons (since 1996).
- Penn State has lost 80% of the time this season (2-8) after recording 36 or fewer rebounds.
- When the opposition shoots a field goal percentage of 47.1% or better this season, Penn State has lost 100% of the time (0-6).
- When the opposition records 24 or more field goals made this season, Penn State has lost 83% of the time (1-5).
- When the opposition records 8 or more steals this season, Penn State has lost 80% of the time (1-4).
- Penn State has recorded fewer assists than their opponents for the past 6 games.
- This is the 12th game at home this season--PSU has a 0.5 average scoring margin against opponents at home.
- The top two scorers (Jermaine Marshall and Devonte (DJ) Newbill) accounted for 45.3% of the points.
- Jermaine Marshall has led the team in scoring in 8 out of 18 games this season.
- Devonte (DJ) Newbill has led the team in rebounding in 3 out of 18 games this season.
- This was the 3rd foul out of the season for Sasa Borovnjak.
Nebraska Game Notes
- Shavon Shields recorded a team season high in points with 29.
- Shavon Shields accounted for 42.6% of the team's points.
- The top two rebounders (Brandon Ubel and Shavon Shields) accounted for 44.4% of the rebounds.
- Brandon Ubel has led the team in rebounding 10 times in 19 games this season.
- Dylan Talley set a career high with 6 assists.
- This marks the 1st 20-point game of Shavon Shields's career.
- This was the 2nd foul out of the season for Shavon Shields.