Navy vs. Army: Full Game Preview
|Navy||T Dunbar 10.7||W Smith 5.7||T Dunbar 5.3|
|Army||E Ellis 17.6||D Cox 5.3||D Cox 2.7|
Navy visits Christl Arena on Sunday to take on Army. Tip-off occurs at 12:00 EST and you can catch it on CBSSN. The Midshipmen are 4-4 against the Black Knights over the last four years. They lost 69-63 the last time they played (2/11/2012). Navy has lost six straight.
In their last game, Worth Smith put up 17 points and 5 rebounds in the Midshipmen 62-47 loss to Holy Cross on January 16th. An integral part of the team, he leads the way in rebounds (5.7), blocks (1.1), and steals (1.1). In a 77-54 blowout of Lafayette on January 16th, Ella Ellis put up 23 points for the Black Knights. With 17.6 points per game and 1.1 blocks per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Reviewing current performance metrics, Army has an edge in two significant categories. One concern is rebounding, where the Black Knights hold the advantage over the Midshipmen, 38 per game to 30 per game. In addition, Army has the edge in scoring, 73 points per game to 58 points per game.
However, the Midshipmen turn it over less, 11 per game to 15 per game.
- The Navy assist leader (Tilman Dunbar) has more assists than the Army assist leader (Dylan Cox).
- The Navy rebounding leader (Worth Smith) has more rebounds than the Army rebounding leader (Dylan Cox).
- We're so much better than you, we get lazy. Navy has come back to win after being down at half against Army 6 times since 2002.
- At least you keep showing up. Navy has an average margin of victory of 12 over Army in 45 wins since 1980.
- Navy has a better scoring defense (57.2 allowed per game vs 69.8 allowed per game) than Army this season.
- Maybe someday you'll play some real competition. Navy has a stronger schedule (including future opponents) than Army this season (Projected SOS Rank: #224 vs #248).
- It must sting. Navy has blown out Army by 20 points or more on 6 occasions since 1997.
- The Navy blocks leader (Worth Smith) has more blocks than the Army blocks leader (Ella Ellis).
- You'll do better on next semester's exams, right? Navy currently has a higher Academic Progress Rate (987 to 971) than Army, per the NCAA.
- Brandon Venturini is ranked 6th in the Patriot in three-pointers and 7th in the Patriot in steals.
- Navy has a much better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (0.494 to 0.334).