|Iona||L Jones 22.3||D Laury 9.3||L Jones 4.1|
|Rider||A Myles 12.5||D Stewart 6.2||J Thompson 3.3|
Iona visits Alumni Gymnasium on Sunday to take on Rider. The game tips off at 2:00 EST. The Gaels are 6-3 against the Broncs over the last four years. They won 75-62 on 2/15/2012 the last time they played.
Rider is in 3rd place in the MAAC and just behind 1st place Iona with a chance to catch up. Iona has won six games straight.
In their last match-up, Lamont Jones finished with 27 points in the Gaels 84-73 victory over Fairfield on January 18th. He leads the team in points with 22.3 per game and assists with 4.1 per game. For the Broncs, Tommy Pereira put up 17 points in the 66-54 win over St. Peter's on January 17th. He is averaging 4.1 points and 0.9 rebounds per game.
In terms of team stats, Iona has an advantage in two key areas. The Gaels will put a stronger offensive effort on the floor with an edge against the Broncs in assists, 16 per game to 10 per game. Iona also has an advantage in scoring, 82 points per game to 65 points per game.
The Broncs, however, appear to have the edge in blocked shots, 4 per game to 3 per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Rider is strong in free throw rate at 42.3. This is good enough for 2nd in the conference and 34th in the nation.
- The Iona assist leader (Lamont Jones) has more assists than the Rider assist leader (Jonathon Thompson).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Iona has a stronger schedule than Rider this season (SOS Rank: #140 vs #195).
- Sean Armand is ranked 22nd nationally in points, 5th in the MAAC in rebounds, 4th nationally in three-pointers, and 8th in the MAAC in assists.
- The Iona scoring leader (Lamont Jones) has more points than the Rider scoring leader (Anthony Myles).
- Iona is a better free-throw-shooting team (79.8% vs 68.5%) than Rider this season.
- You get an A for effort, but Iona has emerged victorious against Rider the last 3 times they've played.
- Tavon Sledge is ranked 9th in the MAAC in assists and 10th in the MAAC in steals.
- Iona has a more potent offense, scoring more points (82.8 per game vs 64.6 per game) than Rider this season.
- Even computers respect Iona more. We have a better RPI this season than Rider (RPI: #131 vs #205).
- Iona can actually jump, with more rebounds (36.0 per game vs 32.4 per game) than Rider this season.
- Iona is better under pressure, and has defeated Rider in 8 out of the last 15 games decided by 5 points or fewer.