Indiana vs. Northwestern: Full Game Preview
|Indiana||C Zeller 16.9||C Zeller 7.9||K Ferrell 5.0|
|Northwestern||R Hearn 14.1||J Swopshire 5.9||D Sobolewski 4.6|
On Sunday, No. 2 Indiana heads to Welsh-Ryan Arena to take on Northwestern. Tip-off is at 1:00 EST and you can catch it on Big Ten Network. The Hoosiers are 2-6 against the Wildcats over the last four years. The last time they met (2/15/2012) they won 71-66.
Indiana is currently in 4th place in the conference and Northwestern is in 8th.
In their last game, Cody Zeller put up 23 points and 10 rebounds in the Hoosiers 64-59 loss to Wisconsin on January 15th. He leads the team in points with 16.9 per game, rebounds with 7.9 per game, and blocks with 1.4 per game. For the Wildcats, Reggie Hearn finished with 20 points in the 68-54 win over Illinois on January 17th. With 14.1 points per game and 1.4 steals per game, he has team-best marks in both categories.
Digging into season numbers, Indiana has the advantage in two key categories. The Hoosiers should have an edge against the Wildcats in scoring, 85 points per game to 65 points per game. Indiana also has an advantage in rebounding, 41 per game to 32 per game.
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Indiana has a stronger schedule than Northwestern this season (SOS Rank: #63 vs #90).
- Indiana has a much lower out-of-state cost per year according to Kiplinger than Northwestern ($36,419 vs $54,190).
- Indiana can actually jump, with more rebounds (42.5 per game vs 35.2 per game) than Northwestern this season.
- It must sting. Indiana has blown out Northwestern by 20 points or more on 4 occasions since 1999.
- The Indiana scoring leader (Cody Zeller) has more points than the Northwestern scoring leader (Reggie Hearn).
- Kids want to come here. Since 1998 Indiana has recruited more Top 50 high school players than Northwestern (11 vs 0).
- Christian Watford is ranked 6th in the Big Ten in rebounds.
- Indiana has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 30 years (0.652 to 0.389).
- Cody Zeller is ranked 49th nationally in points, 46th nationally in rebounds, and 5th in the Big Ten in blocks.
- Indiana beat Northwestern by 5 points the last time they played (Feb 15, 2012).
- Indiana has a more potent offense, scoring more points (87.9 per game vs 67.8 per game) than Northwestern this season.
|D||J. Montgomery III||4||1||0||0||0||0||0|