Tennessee State vs. Belmont: Full Game Preview
|Tennessee State||R Covington 17.4||K Thornton 7.8||P Miller 5.2|
|Belmont||I Clark 18.9||T Noack 5.9||K Johnson 4.9|
On Saturday, Belmont plays host to Tennessee State at Curb Event Center. Tip-off is at 8:00 EST. The Bruins are 4-0 against the Tigers over the last four years. They won 75-62 on 12/6/2011 the last time they played.
Both teams share 1st place in the conference.
In their last game, Ian Clark put up 22 points and 7 rebounds in the Bruins 83-76 win over Eastern Kentucky on January 17th. He leads the team with 18.9 points per game. For the Tigers, Kellen Thornton finished with 17 points and 6 rebounds in the 66-60 win over Jacksonville State on January 17th. He is averaging 14.7 points per game in addition to a team-best 7.8 rebounds per game.
Belmont has a statistical advantage over Tennessee State in one significant category, scoring, where the Bruins have an edge over the Tigers, 77 points per game to 67 points per game. Tennessee State ranks 2nd in their conference in free throw rate at 41.5, which also places them 46th in the country.
Tennessee State StatSmack
- Belmont has a more potent offense, scoring more points (73.4 per game vs 66.1 per game) than Tennessee State this season.
- Belmont takes less vacation, with more NCAA Tournament appearances over the last 10 years than Tennessee State (5 vs 0).
- It's only wins and losses, but Belmont has a better overall record than Tennessee State this season (9-4 vs 7-7).
- Ian Clark is ranked 5th in the Ohio Valley in points and 11th nationally in three-pointers.
- Even computers respect Belmont more. We have a better RPI this season than Tennessee State (RPI: #21 vs #179).
- The Belmont basketball team finishes what they start, with a better graduation rate than Tennessee State (100% vs 73%).
- The Belmont blocks leader (Blake Jenkins) has more blocks than the Tennessee State blocks leader (M.J. Rhett).
- Kerron Johnson is ranked 4th in the Ohio Valley in assists.
- Trevor Noack is ranked 9th in the Ohio Valley in rebounds.
- Belmont has a significantly better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.714 to 0.446).
- Keep filling up on cupcakes. Belmont has a stronger schedule than Tennessee State this season (SOS Rank: #12 vs #167).