Akron vs. Kent State: Full Game Preview
|Akron||Z Marshall 12.3||Z Marshall 6.6||A Abreu 5.7|
|Kent State||C Evans 17.1||C Evans 7.7||K Brewer 2.4|
Akron travels to Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center on Saturday to take on Kent State. The game tips off at 3:00 EST and you can catch it on ESPN U. The Zips are 6-4 against the Golden Flashes over the last four years. The last time they met (3/9/2012) they won 78-74.
Kent State is in 3rd place in the MAC and will be trying to close the gap with Akron, who is currently in 1st place.
The Zips got past Ball State 71-64 on January 16th with the help of 15 points from Nick Harney. He contributes 4.2 rebounds per game in addition to his 10.8 points per game. In an 80-68 victory over Buffalo on January 16th, Chris Evans put up 25 points and 14 rebounds for the Golden Flashes. He leads the team in points with 17.1 per game, rebounds with 7.7 per game, and steals with 1.9 per game. From a tempo-free perspective, Kent State is strong in the following categories: free throw rate at 44.0 and turnover percentage at 19.5.
Kent State StatSmack
- Akron is bigger. The average weight of the top 8 players on Akron is 215 lbs compared to 210 lbs for Kent State.
- Pat Forsythe is ranked 7th in the MAC in blocks.
- Akron is better under pressure, and has defeated Kent State in 6 out of the last 11 games decided by 5 points or fewer.
- The Akron blocks leader (Zeke Marshall) has more blocks than the Kent State blocks leader (Chris Evans).
- Akron beat Kent State by 4 points the last time they played (Mar 09, 2012).
- Akron does a better job contesting shots (40.2% allowed vs 45.2% allowed) than Kent State this season.
- Even computers respect Akron more. We have a better RPI this season than Kent State (RPI: #95 vs #179).
- Alex Abreu is ranked 42nd nationally in assists.
- Zeke Marshall is ranked 10th in the MAC in points, 7th in the MAC in rebounds, and 4th nationally in blocks.
- Akron is taller. The average height of the top 8 players on Akron is 78.8 inches compared to 77.2 inches for Kent State.
- Akron has a better overall winning percentage over the last 5 years (0.654 to 0.642).
|D||E. Morris Jr.||6||1||1||0||0||0||0|